Author Topic: Explanation of Address in the Bronx from an1871 Directory  (Read 1557 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Explanation of Address in the Bronx from an1871 Directory
« on: Monday 16 March 15 22:15 GMT (UK) »
The attached is taken from the Morrisania and Tremont directory of 1871. I’m hoping that someone could explain the addresses to me.

The explanation at the beginning of the directory gives some of the abbreviations. Ie n s e w are north south east and west, h is house, and Street is omitted after the name all streets.

I am unable to find an old map of the Bronx for this time, but from the list of the locations of the streets and avenues in the directory, 130th to 149th streets extend only to the east of Third Avenue as they do today, but to the west of Third Avenue they were named streets not numbered. So Edsall Street (as spelled in the list at the front of the directory) is described as running from Third Avenue to the Harlem railroad (which ran up the west of the Bronx).

I have an advertising card which gives the address of Meller and Sheddon as Third Ave near corner 136th Street. So my stab at the first address would be “west side of Third Avenue, 5th house north of Edsell Street”. This would mean that Edsall/Edsell Street was probably what is now the part of 136th Street that extends to the west of Third Avenue.

Is anyone able to say whether my interpretation is correct.

Simon

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Explanation of Address in the Bronx from an1871 Directory
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Here's a map of New York in the 1870s. Hope it helps.
(Are you sure you haven't mixed up East and West in your description?)

MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I think that map is for Manhattan, not the Bronx. 

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alice but yes your map is on Manhattan as Shellyesq says.

I've now found a map from 1860 which shows the oddment of streets to the west of Third Avenue (which goes northwest from old bridge in the south west) but it doesn't show the names. I'm guessing the one I've marked is Edsall Street from the Street description (ie from 3rd Ave west to Harlem railroad) and my interpretation above.

I'd still like to know if I've read the address correctly though.

Simon

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you've interpreted the address correctly.  Back then, many houses did not have number addresses, so that is how the postman (and others) knew how to find them.

Steve

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 15 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve, more used to UK addresses of just a road number and road name than these US grid layouts.

Simon