Author Topic: 28th December 1851 Marriage at "Ditton-Wood":Charles ROLFE and Elizabeth FAIRS  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi again, Everyone,
I'm unable to get to the CCRO at the moment, so I am wondering whether someone could tell me whether a "Ditton-Wood, Cambridge" marriage on 28th December 1851 (on Ancestry) between a Charles ROLFE and an Elizabeth FAIRS might actually have taken place at Woodditton.  If someone is privy to the PR's there I would much appreciate whether he/she could look it up for me, and also see whether there are any other useful details, as the Elizabeth that Charles ROLFE married, according to subsequent Censuses, was born in Brent Eleigh, near the lovely town of Lavenham, in Suffolk.
Many thanks, Keith

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 28th December 1851 Marriage at "Ditton-Wood":Charles ROLFE and Elizabeth FAIRS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
It's the same place, Keith.

Elizabeth Fayers bp.15/2/1820 Brent Eleigh, Suffolk, dau. of Robert and Ann.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 28th December 1851 Marriage at "Ditton-Wood":Charles ROLFE and Elizabeth FAIRS
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking that up for me, Annette, and that name variant of FAYERS presumably is the correct one.  I've now had another look on Ancestry, putting in the bride rather than the groom's name, and the date of that marriage comes up as 7th January 1852, rather than 28th December 1851.  I wonder which is the correct one - perhaps the earlier date is a Banns...?
Keith

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I did notice of some public trees that they had 7/1/1852 for the marriage date so I would say you are right and that the earlier date relates to the banns.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Annette,
Thanks very much for this, have just started looking at this ROLFE family - I shall bit by bit hopefully come across the correct details for all those BMD's.  One startling thing was that it appears that in one generation of 13 children born between 1890 and 1902 there were no less than three sets of twins, all of whom survived childbirth and childhood - they were all birth registrations instead of multiple  (lets catch up with things at the font in one job lot) baptisms…
Keith