Author Topic: ann green scotland  (Read 4341 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ann green scotland
« on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
i know nothing on searching family members in scotland all i have is my gr gran born 1819 scotland her father robert green tailor i dont even know if robert was born scotland all i know is ann got married in 1845 thornaby and was a potter and from then stayed in north east can anyone tell me where to go from hear to find ann,s birth in scotland

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ann green scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 18:02 GMT (UK) »
All Scottish records are on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It is a reasonable price to pay to view. £7 buys 30 credits, for BMD you pay 1 credit to view the results of your search and 5 credits to download the record you select. Used wisely you can get 5 certs for £7. Use broad searches to get more info.

However I just did a search for Ann Green 1817-1821, there are 4 but If I note the fathers name 0.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking ,, i have try to use scotlands peoplebin the past and i honestly didnt know what i was doing and wasted my gredits .. once again thank you for your help

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
On her marriage her age is 26 that wad 1845 on census birth years 1821,22

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
The difficulty is that the dates listed are well before Civil Registration began in Scotland (1855). The Church records which are online at Scotlands People are for the Church of Scotland and the Roman Catholic Church. The dissenting presbyterian Churches are not listed and neither are any other faiths or sects although some of these records are available in Edinburgh at the NRS.

Add to the mix  that some ministers/Clerks weren't that good at keeping records plus a lot of records were poorly maintained and haven't survived and you have a rough idea of the state of things.

PS The LDS at Family Search did manage to transcribe some of the non conformist church records and these are available online through https://familysearch.org/

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
On her marriage her age is 26 that wad 1845 on census birth years 1821,22

If she was 26 in 1845, she could have been born in either 1818 or 1819 (assuming that she gave her age correctly). The census never gives a date of birth; if you see a date of birth in connection with a census, it has been 'calculated' by subtracting the age from the year of the census. Because the census was usually taken about a quarter of the way through the year, that means that dates 'calculated' by this means are incorrect three-quarters of the time.

Whom did Ann marry?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Iv looked on family search , and nothing ... do scotlandpeople have census for 1841 as iv lookef on engla d census for 1841 and nothing for ann orbher dad robt

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I've looked on family search , and nothing ... do scotlandspeople have census for 1841 as I've looked on england census for 1841 and nothing for ann or her dad robt

Yes, but before you look on Scotland's People, try http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is why i gave a yr span betwern 1818 1820 ad in marriage and census,s