Author Topic: Can someone please help decipher WW1 service record?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can someone please help decipher WW1 service record?
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Attached is part of a service record for someone who served in the ASC - I can't make head nor tail of it so I'm hoping someone else can  :) He signed up in 1916, but there is nothing on here until 1918. He appears to have been injured at some point but I can't make out where or when. Any ideas please?
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone please help decipher WW1 service record?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 15 17:46 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't state he was injured, just that he had some kind of disability which was aggravated by military service.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Re: 9.10.18 A.S.C Grove Park: 'A large workhouse in Grove Park S.E. London was taken over in 1916 as a Reception & Training Area', so assume 'R & T Coy' is the Reception & Training Company and that is was they who reported that he had 'failed test as fitter' and that he had 'no qualificatins [for] ... an artificer.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 15 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for helping. One of the things I am a bit confused about is what was happening to him between Feb 1916 when he joined up and Oct 1918 when the first entry appears. I don't actually know if he was disabled in any way - I know he was a ploughman a few years earlier, which suggests he was physically fit, then he was a chauffeur when he joined up, so it's possible he had an accident or illness that reduced his fitness.  There is no physical assessment in his records, unlike his brother who was deemed Class A in his physical on joining up.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Discounting all the various official authorisations for the various actions - your man's  record is something like this|:

On the 9th October 1918 he failed the test to become a fitter - he was not qualified to be an artificer either - this took place at the Grove Park depot of the ASC
On the 12th November 1918 - still at Grove Park - he was transferred to the "P & Lan" section with effect from the 8th November - he retained his previous rate of pay and whatever medical condition he had [unspecified] was deemed to have been aggravated by his army service.
On the 14th December 1918 he was promoted to the rank of Acting Sergeant [paid] - he was still at Grove Park
On the 12th March 1919 he was selected to serve in the British Army of Occupation in Germany - this paid a bonus of 14/- per week on top of his standard pay.
On 28th August 1918 he was sent to the Dispersal Centre at Crystal Palace for demobilisation.

If you google "Grove Park Depot ASC 1914-1918" you will find lots of information about the place in which he spent those months.

EDIT - having just seen your latest post - this is only one sheet of what would have been a much longer document - presumably the other sheets did not survive the Blitz.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
If you have his Army Number It's possible that there may be a record of an Army Pension if his injury was caused or aggrevated by Army Service - assuming he was previously in some other army unit (I don't know about pensions for other services). This can take a while and there is a cost but its the only way I can suggest. I went down this route and only five words in the 'Disabilities' field were of use but were all indicative of a particular battle field injury.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/first-world-war-pensions.htm

If you don't have his number you could try the Absent Voters List for his home area. For one relation of mine: name, number, unit and home address were recorded.

Jon
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Have found a record on FindMyPast for a David Keddie A/Sergt. no.T/424806 RASC with note of transfer (discharge crossed out) to pension on 25/9/1919.   States he was a Chauffeur born Hume, Berwick.   Is this the same person?   If so, this document mentions 'Heart Trouble' Disability Code 15.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 March 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's him - thanks Annette. I got his service records off there this afternoon. What document have you found??

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 15 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Just typed in his name in military records and it was the second entry in the list that comes up - no circa birth year, just his address 'Hume, Berwickshire.

Annette

London -  Monk