Author Topic: WILLIAM JACKSON of Harrogate (1839-1894) - wine & spirits merchant  (Read 4805 times)

Online rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILLIAM JACKSON of Harrogate (1839-1894) - wine & spirits merchant
« on: Friday 20 March 15 02:08 GMT (UK) »
William Jackson (no middle name) was a very successful wine and spirits merchant born in Elsdon, Northumberland on 17th July 1839. He died on 6th June 1894 in at Elmwood in Harrogate, Yorkshire having built a thriving business from scratch.

I would dearly like to read an obituary about William, my great grandfather.

I would also like to see his will which could have been quite a complicated document given that he had children from three marriages - his first two wives died.

Can anybody help with finding either of these? Or perhaps you have other information about him other than Census and marriage records which I have.

Thanks very much,
Richard
P.S. Oooops. The attachment is William's son, also William Jackson.
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Online rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM JACKSON of Harrogate (1839-1894) - wine & spirits merchant
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Here is a good photo of William Jackson 1839-1894.

His business had its Head Office in Sunderland, so the business was William Jackson (Sunderland).

Richard
RPJ

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 15 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Shields Daily Gazette
6 June 1894

DEATH OF MR W JACKSON
The news of the death of Mr William Jackson, the well known proprietor, will be learned with widespread regret and surprise. His demise occurred this morning at his residence at Harrogate, after an illness of only a few days duration. At first his illness caused no serious apprehension among his friends, but a speedy development of ominous symptoms ensued, and among his most intimate friends his death was not an altogether unlooked- for event at the time it came. There was probably no more familiar or prominent figure in 'the trade' on Tyneside and Wearside than the deceased. He was a native of Rochester and worked in his early days in the fields. About fourteen years age he started in the public line in this neighbourhood, his first employment being a manager for Mr Peter Wright. Subsequently he became mine host for Scarborough Castle, West Holborn, South Shields, where he was eminently successful. He afterwards became the owner of important licensed property in Sunderland which town he always made his headquarters in his after business transactions. Being of an enterprising disposition he gradually added to his wealth and proprietorship, and became eventually one of the principal owners of licensed houses in the North. Among the local properties he acquired are the Criterion restaurant, the Grapes, the Chichester, the Highlander, and seven or eight additional houses. He was also owner of large and valuable premises in Newcastle, North Shields &c. He became well known and respected wherever he went, and had hosts of warm personal friends. He was 55 years old.

Online rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 15 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. The first thing that strikes me is that there's no mention of any family members. I wonder if this is more of a "business" obituary.

What is a mine host? A family member had said that William went to work for Deuchar, the whiskey people.

Was Mr Peter Wright well known in South Shields?

I wonder if the local paper for Harrogate has a different obituary. It's interesting that this obituary seems to have been written on the day of his death.

Thank you
Richard PJ
RPJ

Online rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 March 15 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I found from a previous post re "Finding a Will."

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

They are £10 but make sure that it is not described as an administration or grant as you could be wasting your money  "

So I found the entry for William. It has 948 written along the left margin  and does NOT say Administration or Grant.

Does that mean there is something definitive to see?

Richard

P.S. It also says Resworn April 1896
RPJ

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 15 05:23 GMT (UK) »
I think this is William Jackson of Elmwood, Harrogate in the London Gazette it only mentions his widow though Elizabeth Jackson of Elmwood
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/26637/page/3618/data.pdf
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 15 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Another obit. very long, will keep it short
Sunderland shipping gazette
Councillor William Jackson of Sunderland and Harrogate took place at Harrogate cemetery.
Amongst those present were
Messrs A Jackson, W Jackson, Page, Bagnall, Wilson, and a whole host more
30 mourning coaches, 3 carriages full of wreathes
All the licensed properties owned by him were closed for the day and blinds were lowered.
It is a long report with lots of name of victuallers etc who attended.

Another report (again too long)
Shields Daily Gazette
The gathering of the mourners at the graveside did not include female members of the family due to heavy downpour. Male members included Amos Jackson (eldest son), W Jackson (son)
The breastplate on the coffin of wainscoted oak reads 'William Jackson born July17th 1839, died June 6th 1894.

Another one
Northern Echo 7 June 1894

Cause of death, inflammation of the lungs. Native of High Rochester. Owned no less than 33 public houses. A councillor representing Bridge Ward since 1879. He was a conservative. Leaves a widow and several children.

I have no idea what a mine host is. I googled it and it says landlord/landlady
I will have a look for Peter Wright

There are many reports on William Jackson during his lifetime with Newspaper Archives.

Good luck and if you need me to look for anything else, I'm only too happy to do so.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I always thought that mine host was usually a very extrovert landlord, or even the host at a large function.  It was used quite a lot when I was young (despite one of the articles found by googling the expression says it died out in the 19th century - I know I'm old, but not that old :D )

Online rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input.

I would like to read the full articles on William's death as I've researched all the branches of his family too. I'd love to see a list of all those who attended his funeral. Could you please send the link to Newspaper Archive that covers Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland.

One piece of information that has eluded me is the date of death for May Kitchin née Jackson, William's daughter who married Matthew Kitchin. I believe it was in Harrogate or Knaresboro in the 1970s.

I shall purchase the will for William to see what I can learn. I see the family was living in East Holborn, South Shields by the Railway Tavern back in 1871.

I'm thankful for all the help I get on RootsChat.
Richard
RPJ