Author Topic: Outspan Journal/newspaper  (Read 7817 times)

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Outspan Journal/newspaper
« on: Friday 20 March 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I am enquiring whether anybody remembers a publication called the  Outspan during the 1930 /40s published I think in Bloemfontein O F S.
I have someone connected to the paper called Reginald Jabez Rigby and would like to know is he was to do with publishing or editing it.

I will be grateful for any information at all.

Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Outspan Journal/newspaper
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
can i suggest a contact communication >

http://www.archivalplatform.org/registry/entry/free_state_provincial_archives_repository_bloemfontein/

***     outspan was a radical " aparteid " associated movement in a very difficult period because of the nazi WW foreign policies and anti semenic*[sic spelling] feelings....   lots of nasty stuff happening in that period.....    churches in one corner, english in one corner , Boers in another , indians in another etc etc...........     everyone had a soap box.       good luck on that research

PS also try contact with Library of Congress in USA as a lot of Americans were receiving phampletts and papers from Sud Africa.. they might have some surviving materials....

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 15 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  fastfusion  and pampoen for your prompt replies.

The information you gave fastfusion was very interesting but certainly very controversial  and extremely nasty. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the link pampoen  . I now have two links that will keep me busy !

Regards   Amber39

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 15 23:50 GMT (UK) »
amber>     it was a highly troubled period in Sud Africa and a lot of folk were murdered one way or another....

One of my former associates had a sister that  was a reporter for The Guardian [SA] and she was, before she was tragically killed, the person who broke the story of the Riots and Massacre at Soweto.......

Luckily the family sold their farm, pretty much after being told to leave, and it was upon her going to collect her husband from the airport that a kangaroo jumped out at the car causing her to be killed by driving into a tree....

Even when I was coming to Australia in the 1960s, it was advised to stay on board with all the Van de Klerk crap goin on in Cape.....

no doubt as you read more and more about Sud Africa you will unearth some nasty materials from time to time.......      I have extended family there in the Cape and a lot of other friends...       not my cup of tea, as my own family have had murders committed against us in various skirmishes dating back as far as 1878.

fusion

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 15 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your email about the troubles in South Africa.  I remember growing up and hearing about much of it on the news  ,it must have been a nightmare to live through. I can particularly remember the Soweto  massacres and the incarceration of Nelson Mandela and his subsequent release.
Hopefully much has improved now and will continue to do so.

Regards    Amber39

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 March 15 05:35 GMT (UK) »
I feel the comments made here about the previous government are unfair and have no relevance to the search you were doing on the Outspan newspaper. I lived in the country and was involved in educating indigenous people. However post 1994 law and order started deteriorating and in 1995 I was held hostage by those I was trying to help. I therefore migrated to Australia taking my skills and knowledge with me. I have had 2 family members murdered on their farms, one in 2003 and the other in 2012. I suggest you take a trip to South Africa and try walk in Johannesburg and see how long before you are mugged and robbed. Google the number of farm murders since 1994. Land is now being taken from the farmers as in Zimbabwe. In ten years time there will be not enough food and the country will be pleading for help. Google Eskom and see how corruption has crippled a once thriving company. Lastly read the employment section in the paper and see AA after each advert. No AA does not stand for Alcoholics Anonymous it stands for Affirmative Action meaning if you are white do not apply. Imagine doing that in Australia!!! Hope this balances the equation in that there are 2 sides to every story. Do not slate a place unless you have lived there.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
Reginald married on the 9 November 1909 at St Margaret's, Bloemfontein - Church of the Province of South Africa.  It is image 54 on the familysearch site.

He stated his profession as 'publisher'. 
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and interest.
I have a slight connection to the wife of Reginald and had found the marriage. The couple divorced subsequently and Elizabeth nee Hill returned to England with her two sons.
The belief in the family was that Reginald was the Editor of The Outspan and I wondered if this was right.
As a child I have seen copies of this Journal

Regards   Amber39