Author Topic: Upton Colliery 1940 and 1944  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Pipemakers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upton Colliery 1940 and 1944
« on: Friday 20 March 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with regards to two mining incidents:

Two relatives were said to have been involved in a mining accident at Upton Colliery, Yorkshire which took place during the first week in June 1940.  One of them survived but was injured, the other one - Jack Foster - died twelve days later in Pontefract Hospital.  I have found a reference in Hansard which states that two people died initially, and one died later (accident date 4 June 1940).  There is an article in the Barnsley Chronicle (June 1940) which refers to nine men having died.  Jack's name is not there.  I have looked on the Coal Mining History Resource Centre site - but there is no reference to this accident and I can't find any other information about it.  Was Jack involved in the major accident - or had there been two accidents within a couple of days of each other?

The second relative (William Woolcott) died in 1944 following what seems like a second mining accident (Wombwell Main 26 June 1944) - but I can find no further information.  It could be that he was (thankfully) the only person injured - and so it wasn't considered important.

On the Mining Victims UK site both men are listed on a page entitled "Roll of Honour" - but with no details/dates attached.

Can anyone shed any light onto these accidents?
Pipe making;  Bottle making in Dewsbury and Seaham Harbour; Nail making in Darton.

Offline Diane1958

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Upton Colliery 1940 and 1944
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

John William Foster (Jack) was my grandfather and he died as a result of injuries received at Upton Colliery in 1940. I have attached a photograph of his grave in Wombwell Cemetery, and also one nearby that relates to William Woolcott. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Diane McNulty