Author Topic: 14 Operational Unit Cottesmore.  (Read 1600 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
14 Operational Unit Cottesmore.
« on: Thursday 26 March 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
This picture taken on 21-2-41 at snowy Cottesmore is of 14 OTU personnel in course No. 24 from 14-2-41 to 20-6-41.  I would be grateful if someone could lighten the picture to make the names readable.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Operational Unit Cottesmore.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Back row left to right:- Pullen, Layne, Jackson, Matthews, Smith, Wrigley, Mossop, Voysey, Thomson, Welford.

Third row left to right:- Dundas, Britt, Barley, Lord, Nicholl, Bradley, Mitchell, Norris, Matthews.

Second row left to right:- Ringwood, Bartlett, Tate, Grahame, Brister, King, Peace, Bousfield, Busley, Murray.

Front row left to right:- Scott, Watt, Walters, White, Meddon, Morris.

Notes:

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
My father (Layne) completed a tour with 50 Squadron and a tour with 97 Squadron and survived the war. Welford went to 50 Squadron and survived the war.

I believe the airman back row, third from left is Israel Jacobovitch who served under the name of Jackson. He was lost 9 days after joining 50 Squadron in Hampden AE 226.

On Jackson’s left (our right) is AG, John Matthews, of 144 Squadron.

Bousfield, second row third from right was lost with his crew consisting of Sgt. E R. Bousfield, Sgt. J E S. Burke, F/S. J H. Tittley, and AC1.H L. Reed on 19th July 1941. 50 Squadron moved from Lindholme to Swinderby and the squadron departed Lindholme in formation. Shortly after takeoff Hampden AD 897 rolled onto it’s back and flew inverted for a few seconds before diving into the ground killing Sgt. Bousfield and crew.

On the second row from the top, extreme left hand side is Sgt Bruce Dundas (Lord Dundas of Orkney). Killed 24/02/1942 144 Squadron.   Lord Dundas Of Orkney was shot down by a member of the German nobility, Egmont Prinz zur Lippe-Weißenfeld.

I know nothing of the others in the photograph and would welcome any information about them.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
A good photograph, but very sad. I have a 144 Squadron photograph of all the aircrew in front of a HP Hampden and hangar behind cJuly 1940 at Hemswell. I have seen a couple of later examples on eBay. The sad thing is the missing faces replaced by others. My fathers brother was lost on the night of 10/11th August 1940.

I don't know whether it was on the way in or the way out of Holland (Isselmeer). Only the pilots body was washed ashore a week later. The aircraft was probably shot down by the Flak Battalion of the SS Verfuegungs Division (later 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich) then occupying the coastal defences.

The pilot was buried with full military honours by the SS Division. There are photographs. 

The Dutch are very active in recovering Allied planes from their coasts during land reclamation. It's likely that they will recover my uncles aircraft and any bodies still in the aircraft.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Hope this is what you were after.  The name in the subject is line of your thread is different to that in your description, so not sure if I've picked the right one.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I see you've been online.  If this is not what you were after, let me know I can adjust it for you.

Cheers
Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caz, that is fine.  My hope is that someone recognizes a individual on the photograph and can come up with more information.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire