Author Topic: shipping - 1859 - Truro - The "Robert Small"  (Read 2610 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
shipping - 1859 - Truro - The "Robert Small"
« on: Thursday 26 March 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
This question will be quite different.

I have ancestors who were living in Truro in 1854 and then migrated to NZ on a ship called the 'Robert Small', which left London on Oct 7th 1859.

I know from other research that some ships collected cargo and passengers from several ports around the UK before making the final leap to NZ.

I wonder if anyone knows if the Robert Small stopped anywhere in Cornwall in the days leading up to its expedition? It would suit the history of my ancestors better if they boarded locally rather than travelling by land to London first.

Cheers
David C

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: shipping - 1859 - Truro - The "Robert Small"
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see from newspaper reports the Robert Small left Gravesend on October 5th 1859, carrying mail for Wellington and Nelson, NZ.  She was originally scheduled to leave on 15th September according to the overseas mail listings. I can't see any record of her visiting Cornwall.

Your ancestors could have travelled to Gravesend or London by coastal vessel or by train. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shipping - 1859 - Truro - The "Robert Small"
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun,

I see from the snippets of newspaper articles that I am able to read in FindMyPast, that free emigration to NZ was advertised widely throughout the UK in 1859, so that it is not necessary for my ancestors to have been in London (or any other particular place) to have been inspired to take the plunge. Coach transport to London (and temporary accommodation there) may have been worthwhile knowing that passage to NZ was free and assured once the ticket was issued.

Grants of land were also offered, to men of good character. Whether that applies to my dear GG grandfather or not remains uncertain as he appears to have been quite a ruffian in his youth.

Anyway thanks for checking.

-DC