Author Topic: william pass awarded military medal  (Read 2498 times)

Offline comfort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
william pass awarded military medal
« on: Friday 27 March 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
hi
my great uncle was William pass
he was in the 2nd bn, royal scots
killed in action 23 oct, 1918
he was awarded the military medal
his name was in the London gazette 16-7-1918
would that be when he received the medal
and is there any way I could find out what he did to be awarded the medal.
I did ring the archives in London but was told that there is little chance of finding any record of the award,
any help would be appreciated
thank you
patricia.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william pass awarded military medal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 March 15 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest you post this on the Great War Forum and someone their might be able to access a war diary for his battalion.
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/
(I see you have already tried this)

The Military Medal or MM was awarded for "Acts of gallantry and devotion to duty under fire".

Also if you buy his medal card, this will confirm the date he was awarded the MM and which battalion he was serving in when he won the medal, his other medals and the first theatre of war he fought in
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4541253
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
"2RS war diary is available at the National Archives, unfortunately they have not yet available online so you will either need a holiday to visit or a kind member who is visiting and willing able to copy /look up on your behalf. There may be someone with a copy already." 2RS war diary reference is WO95/1423"

The Royal Scots Regiment Page on Research
http://www.theroyalscots.co.uk/page/help-on-research-on-an-individual

No mention of MM here so I think your best bet is that War Diary

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

You would be better off getting his medal card from Ancestry - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1262/30850_A001205-00090/4494079?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3dmedalrolls%26new%3d1%26gsfn%3dwilliam%26gsln%3dpass%26rank%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26sbo%3d1%26pcat%3dMIL_AWARDS%26fh%3d5%26h%3d4494079%26recoff%3d9%2b10%26ml_rpos%3d6&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

You can take a 14 day free trial of Ancestry. Just remember to cancel before the free period ends.

At least it is in colour and does not include the cards of five other soldiers which you get with downloads from the National Archives. It actualy does not say much. It does not mention the MM. The date it appears in the London Gazette is when it was 'gazetted' - ie published in the LG and this makes it official. There is no link to when the action took place - usually about 3-6 months previous - nor when the medal was dispatched. He would also certainly have received two one inch of MM ribbon to be sown on his tunic before his death. The medals with six inches of ribbon may also have arrived before his death. If he service record survives it may include a signed receipt from his parents, as medals were sent out by registered post.

He was not awarded the 1914-15 Star so he went overseas in 1916 or later. But this is only given on the medal cards of those awarded a Star. If his record has not survived you will not discover this.

Ken

Offline comfort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 March 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
hi
a very big thank you to you all,
 for the information and advice
I do have his service record but I am not to good at all the war record stuff
but I will have a look at all you have helped me with,
it is very much appreciated
thank you again
patricia.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
His home battalion was the 5th - hence the six-digit territorial number. His record says when he was transferred to the 2nd Battalion.

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
To help narrow it.....Williamsons book gives this gazette covers MM awarded for March Offensive between 21st March and 11th April 1918.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.