Author Topic: DEAKIN/DEYKIN of Farewell, Chorley and Walsall  (Read 2456 times)

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
DEAKIN/DEYKIN of Farewell, Chorley and Walsall
« on: Saturday 28 March 15 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm in the midst of trying to piece together my DEYKIN (and varient spelling) ancestors from Walsall who appear to have had origins in the Farewell, Chorley, Lichfield area.

Im currently back to Thomas DEYKIN of Farewell who left a Will dated 1641. In turn I descend from his son Thomas who was later Mayor of Walsall in the 1650s.

The Parish Registers for Farewell do not appear to begin until the 1690s so I'm a bit stuck taking this line back any further - although the 1641 Will tantalisingly carries the name of a Nicholas DEAKIN as a witness... so he's probably related... but how to prove?

If anyone out there has already researched any of the family from this area can they share their thoughts with me?!

All the best

Graham

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DEAKIN/DEYKIN of Farewell, Chorley and Walsall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
According to genuki website parish registers begin in 1693. However there are some bishop transcripts which begin in 1666 but with gaps. They are deposited at lichfield record office. It may also be worth looking at surrounding parishes. You could check what documents that archives may have e.g. walsall, lichfield and stafford. They have websites. The staff may be able to suggest what they have which may help. Stafford have an on line catalogue. Could they have been mentioned in any deeds? I think the birmingham and midland society for genealogy and heraldry have farewell in monumental inscriptions. It may be on the staffordshire disc or may be separate.

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Weste.

I shall take up the ideas you suggest and appreciate your reply.

Regards

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Please note they are reducing their opening hours from april the 7th.

Offline Stewbacca

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am also a direct descendant of Thomas Deykin and able to go back a further couple of generations to Thomas Deykin who married Margerye Bishop in St Marys, Neen Savage on January 22nd 1591, although it appears their children were born in the 1560's and 70's!
After extensive research, I cannot trace back any further and it has been suggested the roots lie in Wales where Deykin was a medieval Christian name. It has also been suggested they could have been in Shropshire if they had something to do with the iron industry but equally they could have been farmworkers who moved from area to area to find work.
Hope this of help.
Best regards

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 August 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not my family but there is a Nicholas Deakin at St Mary Lichfield.
Nicholas Deakin bapt 16.4.1610 s of John
married 1639 Marie Baylie
married 2 27.2.1654 Joane Butterfield
NBI St Micheal's 1656.
Children Nicholas 6.2.1639,Mary 13.3.1641,daughter 27.2. 1645,Nicholas 19.1.1647,Thomas 1649,Francis 1651,William 1653.

Ciderdrinker

Offline nhudson152

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Graham,
Are you still in pursuit of information regarding the ancestry of Thomas Deakin of Chorley/Farewell and his possible relationship to Nicholas? If you can email me at nhcards (then please insert the usual at sign and finish with) bigpond.net.au I have a few transcriptions of early wills etc. that seem likely to shed light on family connections and parish records to be found in Norton Canes/Norton subtus Cannocke.
Kind regards, Nick