Author Topic: Union Castle Line  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Union Castle Line
« on: Monday 30 March 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Good day all,

I am looking for information on Harry and Bertha Arguile who emigrated to South Africa in 1926/1927. They apparently left Barwell, Leicestershire, England, two days after their wedding on 24 December 1926 and traveled to South Africa on a Union Castle Ship.

I have a feeling that this:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/passenger-lists-leaving-uk-1890-1960?firstname=harry&firstname_variants=true&lastname=arguile&eventyear=1926&eventyear_offset=2

may be him, but as I am not sure on which ship they traveled as I can find no record of the union castle ships travel logs to narrow it down.

Anyone that has any tips on how to make some progress on this would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Duncan

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Union Castle Line
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 15 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you look at the passenger list image link from your results page? it has their UK address as 120 High St, Barwell Leicester, he was a Schoolmaster and the ship was the Armadale Castle of the Union Castle Line. She left Southampton 26th Dec 1926 bound for South Africa

Andy

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hey Andy, thank you, I was being an idiot, and read the wrong address, that is what happens when you check those things at 2am :P

It is definitely him then.

Thanks once again

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Looking at both FindMyPast and Anc, they did seem to travel to and from S.A. a few times (one or both ways) - 1927, 30, 37, 48 and 58 (maybe others)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi ReadyDale, I know that they went back for visits in 1930 and 1937. Had no idea about 1948 and 1958, I will need to look into those, thank you for the hint :)