Author Topic: Isaac Rowe  (Read 2800 times)

Offline pmgreen314

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Isaac Rowe
« on: Monday 30 March 15 03:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for Info on Isaac Rowe believe to be born about 1804, England. Moved to Canada and died 1886 in Ontario.  First wife, Sarah ULN, daughter Sarah, born Headly, Hamshire, Eng  (1828-1910)  m John Lemmon.  Second wife unknown, daugthers Mary, Priscilla, and Elizabeth, all born in Canada. Not much to go on but that's all I can find so far.
Dainton, Sancaster, Green, Chase, Carnwell, Webb, Dixson, Rutledge, Buckham

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Rowe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
A well-documented tree on Ancestry has Isaac and family in Canada from at least 1835, when daughter Mary was born in Canada?
They also have Canadian censuses 1852, 1861, 1871.

And Isaac's birth as c1803 in Suffolk?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pmgreen314

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  That info likely came from my tree (Green/Chase) as that is all the info I have, including the photos.  That is far as I can get with this family. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Pat

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 03:06 BST (UK) »
There are a few trees on Ancestry and checking the facts I do not believe Isaac's daughter Sarah was born in Headley, Hampshire!

Isaac's daughter Sarah was married to a John Lemon/Lemmon with children born in Ontario.   At least 2 of the trees I looked at showing Sarah was born 1828 Headley show her as being in both the English and Canadian census at the same time!   As far as I can see, the Sarah Lemon born in Headley, Hampshire never left the UK! In 1861, for instance, is with husband John (an agricultural labourer) in Bramshott, Hampshire with one, possibly 2 children, and also in Perth, Ontario with husband John who's an Innkeeper and with 4 children!!

Also, Headley baptisms are online and there is no Sarah Rowe baptised there.

So, it would seem that a John Lemmon/Lemon married a Sarah Rowe in Ontario and another John Lemon married a Sarah bc.1828 Headley, Hampshire in the UK and the latter couple never leave the UK.   These are 2 different couples I'm afraid so all that is known (from her death certificate) is Sarah Lemon, nee Rowe was born in England.   After seeing the death certificate simply stating born in England I kept wondering how it was known she was actually born in Headley, Hampshire.   With no baptism for Sarah Rowe there I looked at a couple of the trees again and then spotted that they had John/Sarah Lemon living in 2 places at the same time - somewhere along the way someone has confused UK and Canadian census records and attributed them to the same couple i.e. the ones in Canada whereas they are definitely 2 different couples (who coincidentally appear to be the same sort of ages).

Can I ask, please, how you know that Isaac Rowe was a) married twice and b) that first wife was named Sarah Uln?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pmgreen314

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 03:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are correct about the census docs showing this couple in both places. I was staring at them all afternoon trying to figure it out.  It could be that they are 2 different couples both named Sarah and John Lemon and about the same ages; I didn't think of that. No wonder I'm having trouble with it!  I'm not sure why I thought Isaac was married twice, I'll go back and take a look. I made an assumption based on something I found but if there are 2 couples I could have mixed things up. I am confident in the info re Sarah's family - John and children - but I think I'll start over as far as her birth date/year is concerned and Isaac's history. Although he is the one I came to a dead end with! Thanks for your input, you've helped me see this more clearly!

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the death of Sarah Lemon - 8 March1828/17 April 1910.   Fort William, Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Isaac's place of birth is given as Devonshire.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
Isaac's own death certificate in 1886 states birthplace Suffolk!

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
A possibility to consider:

Sarah Row bp.3/4/1831 Horham, Suffolk, dau. of Isaac Row and Honour (nee Wingfield)

Isaac Row married Honor Winkfield (?) 25/12/1828 Horham, Suffolk

The above are on familysearch - aside from these 2 events I can find nothing further on this family.

'Your' Sarah states on census that her birthday was 8th March but from census and death the year of birth varies between 1828 and 1833!   A birthday of 8th March would tie in with a baptism of 3rd April.   Again, from census, Sarah states she arrived in Canada in 1832.

So, could this possibly be your family?   Mind you, even if it is still have no idea where/when this Isaac was born.

Something to consider anyway.

Annette
London -  Monk