Author Topic: Deciphering writing on Army Service Record  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering writing on Army Service Record
« on: Monday 30 March 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry I have found the Army Service Records for my great uncle Bert Harrison, born Lincoln about 1897. However whilst I can decipher most of the writing I am having trouble working some of it out and would appreciate a little help.

On the signing up page there is a whole section after her transfers to the West Riding Regiment that I cannot figure out apart from a few dates and numbers. The time period is 1917.

Then on the section about campaigns I think it says...Home 5.8.1914 - 1.11.1914. I can't make out the next word but think the next is France followed by dates 2.11.1914 to 14.10.1915. Then I think it is 'home' again followed by the dates 15.12.1915 to 2.9.1917.

Then a couple of pages later is his company conduct record and I'm unsure of some of what is written on here.

Any help in deciphering this would be hugely appreciated, especially details of the campaigns he served in.

Thank you

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering writing on Army Service Record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
On Military History sheet:
France 2.11.1914 - 14.12 1915
In the Campaigns section:
Exp Force 2.11.1914 - 14.12 1915

In July 1915 he is guilty of 'losing by neglect his cap badge'. He lost something else in May. He appears to have been absent from 'tattoo' for 3 days in Oct 1916, then again in Nov 1916 & Dec 1916 [this last while he was 'under the MO' & excused for 4 days].

Josey

PS: Service Nos 10154 & 202764.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you...wasn't sure what things said but had rough idea on a few words. That's opened up a bit more.

I'm trying to track his whereabouts of his time in France. I think his record of his injury says 'Seu France' but cannot be sure - have found it on Google maps so the place does exist.

Also thought it said neglect and cap badge.

Its the big section after he transfers to the West Riding regiment that just cannot seem to decipher though. 

Melanie

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
A start....

20/   Proceeded to Depot ?Leics Regt …  11.1.17
      for substitution purposes
32/   Trans to ? Regt Class M[1] for ?? to work         )
   ?with ?? & Middleton Fordingham                         ) 2.2.17
Authy [Authority] ? ? Cir letter 27/ Sub 11d/25 of 1916   )

Discharged            5/9/17

Being no longer fit for War Service under Reg ….Act 1867...under ...of 1917

Permanently excluded from liability to physical examination under the …. Session [... of exemption] Act 1867 ….1105 of 1917

Pension if awarded to act from 16/2/17

IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Oh that's brilliant thank you...I'm wondering if that's 'Lincs Regt. Lincoln' though instead of Leics as that would make more sense?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Yes it is!!! I'd become a bit boggle-eyed  ;D

You will have to wait for a military expert to come along to be able to interpret the regulations.

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
I know you sit staring at it and it all rolls into one and becomes so difficult to decipher - probably be a lot easier with an original copy rather than staring at it on a screen. His RAF service record after the war is so much easier to read!!!!

Thank you - you've figured out a lot more than we managed. Just trying to pinpoint where he may have been in France - somewhere on the Western Front for the duration I believe - although still trying to figure out where he was wounded....have looked on a map and the place I think it says is E of Paris and SW of Reims. 

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
You may be able to find a war diary for the regiment on the National Archives site.

Also try http://www.1914-1918.net/westyorks.htm

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
I have found one on the regimental page for the East Yorkshire Regiment but for some reason cannot open it which is disappointing.