Author Topic: Bahnschreiber occupation?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bahnschreiber occupation?
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 05:37 BST (UK) »
Do any German speakers know what a Bahnschreiber would be c.1885?  My mother suggested a railway clerk.
I know Bahn is train and Schreiber is writing. There does not seem to be a literal translation?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bahnschreiber occupation?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 07:05 BST (UK) »
Google comes up with Track-Recorder - whatever that is!
http://karl-may-wiki.de/index.php/Joseph_Haller_%28Bahnschreiber%29

Found this in a German book (on Google):
Eine besondere Position hatte dort der Bahnschreiber inne, denn die Eisenbahngesellschaften erwarteten Hochste genauigkeit.
(Der bahnschreiber wurde wegen  der langen Waggonnummern auch Millionenschreiber genannt.)

which loosely translates as:
A special position held there by train writers, because the railway companies expected highest accuracy.
(The track recorder was also called MillionWriters due to the long wagon numbers.)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
I hit on the translate for the Joseph Haller link and you do get a stilted English machine translation, but it says,  Joseph Haller (Bahnschreiber), then in English, translator has Joseph Haller (Railway Clerk) in large letters as the subject of the article.
I also had previously translated TRACK RECORDER  ??? Felt none the wiser.
Perhaps Mum was right?
Thanks for response.

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:50 BST (UK) »

I know Bahn is train and Schreiber is writing. There does not seem to be a literal translation?
Bahn is not only the train but also the track, or railway. I think it is a railway clerk.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
in England we have a TCI Track Control Inspector -he is responsible for which Driver / Guard goes on which train and which route ...for instance - it is no good sending a driver from Liverpool to Newcastle if the driver doesn't know every junction / level crossing etc on that route ...
so - although you think he was a Railway Clerk - he was a bit more important than that ...as a Track Recorder he was responsible for - The weight limit a goods train could carry - can't carry 1.000 tons on a train down a steep incline if that train can't stop ..so he had to know all the weight limits on all routes ( or he had a book with all that info - but he was responsible to strictly adhere to weight limits)..the crew - both must know the route /track they are on - the time of the journey - ie if it was 11 hours - he would have to organise another driver / guard half way through the journey - relief driver and guard ...
so your Track Controller was a very important job - and no doubt well paid
hope this helps  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks or Vielen Dank for the further responses :) and explanation of a Track Recorder.