Author Topic: Hugh Ruane and Mary Devlin - Ireland to new Zealand  (Read 3731 times)

Offline allison bianco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Ruane and Mary Devlin - Ireland to new Zealand
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, hoping anyone might know of connections to my Gt Grandparents Hugh Ruane b 3/4/1856 Curradrish, Attymass, Ballina, Co Mayo and his wife Mary Devlin b Drumglass, Dungannon and emigrated to New Zealand.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Ruane and Mary Devlin - Ireland to new Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 15 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, what exact type of connections are you looking for? In the 1901 Irish census for Attymass,co Mayo there are 4 Ruane men who live in various townlands including Corradrishy where your Hugh is from.

1901 census:
Corradrishy townland

James Ruane age 64,his wife Bridget 52 & their children
Patrick Ruane age 42,his wife Bridget 29 & their daughter Sarah

Boyhollagh townland

James Ruane age 64,his wife Anne 60 & their children

Derrynabaunshy townland

John Ruane age 51, his wife Anne 50 & their children

I found a baptism for a Hugh Ruane;

Hugh Ruane
baptised: 27 April 1856
at:Crossmolina,county Mayo
religion:Roman Catholic
father:John Ruane
mother:May Sheridan
sponsors:Ned McGowan & Sally Flynn
*Crossmolina is 5.9 mi from Ballina

If this is indeed your Hugh, then this is his parents' marriage;

date:22 February 1841
place:Addergoole,county Mayo
groom:John Ruane
address:Parks
bride:Mary Sheridan
witnesses:John Tymney & Bridget May

Also looking at the Tithe Applotment Books 1814-1855,there are Ruanes in Addergoole during this time frame.

As to Margaret Devlin,you would really have to give more information on her to be able to find her in records as the name Devlin is very populous in county Tyrone and in Dungannon as well. If I may suggest,if you are looking for relatives further back than Hugh and Margaret try the New Zealand website www.dia.govt.nz/births-deaths-and-marriages where you can look up various records and order them online like Hugh and Margaret's death certs which may give more info to help narrow search.Hugh according to site died 1931 and I found 2 deaths for Mary Ruane- one in 1915 age 76 and one in 1918 age 61.If one is wife perhaps other is sister or sister in law to Hugh. Let me know what you are looking for and maybe people on site can help further,Kim
PS. If you want to see where the townlands are in relation to each other go onto osi.ie website and press search and enter county and townland.This may give you an idea where these places are as the crow flies.