Author Topic: James Hawkins & Eliza (Wheatland) Islington. Need help please  (Read 11038 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: James Hawkins & Eliza (Wheatland) Islington. Need help please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 03 April 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
It is possible that neither James or Eliza gave the correct fathers names when they married.

There is a Mary Ann Hawkins - single -age 26- born Barnet lodging in Blundell Street, Islington in 1861.  I can't see her anywhere else though.   RG9 / 130 f50  p31.  She could be the witness at the wedding.

The other witness William Edwards seems to witness other weddings so probably in the employ of the church
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 03 April 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Rosie,

I truly appreciate all your help!! There seems to be just one brick wall after another with both Eliza & James. I wonder why they (or anyone) would lie about who their parents were. ??

I didn't find any information on either Sara or George found in the 1841 census. Another wall.

Donna

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 April 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
It is often found that illegitimate children lie about their father (or lack of) when they marry. My gt grandfather did  :)    Alternatively they may not know his first name. 

We are only assuming that James with Sarah & George in 1841 is the right one.  If so he may be with his grandmother Sarah and George could be a sibling or cousin.

There are a James & Sarah having two children baptised in Barnet c1810 - a son James (born c1806) who dies c1831 and a son Henry (born c1810) who married Mary Bell in 1832. There may have been more.   Henry & Mary (Bell) are baptising children in Barnet area but no James c1839.

In 1841 there are these 'Hawkins  in Barnet

Eliza Hawkins age 28 (a servant) born in county who could quite easily be his mother.

Sarah, George & James.

Mary 25,  James 5,  Eliza 4,  Henry 1.  This looks like the family of Henry/Mary but Mary could be widowed.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 April 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Interesting finds in the 1841 census. Great job! Very good leads.

So there is a James is age 3 living with Sarah & with Mary a James age 5. Possibly the same person. I have found people listed a different locations on census records so James could be living with mother Mary & visiting grandmother Sarah. 

We do know that the name George is associated with James as his son was Herbert George James so I agree that George could be a sibling/cousin. 

We are getting so very close!

Can you see the actual birth or marriage records? Or is it just typed out for you? Just wondering as the name of Eliza Wheatland's father on her marriage data was Maskley or Markley. It could be something totally different depending on who looks at the handwriting. Also Maskley/Markley is such an unusual name (to me). Is that a common name in England? Just wondering.