Author Topic: The ancestry of William Tully, died Murwillumbah, NSW, 1921.  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Dglew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The ancestry of William Tully, died Murwillumbah, NSW, 1921.
« on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to establish the paternity of William Tully (1845-1921)
William was born in Galmpton, Devon, UK. circa 1845 and emigrated to Australia at the age of seventeen where he met and married Margaret Glue in December 1865. My problem is that there are two possible candidates for the father of William, he is "probably" either the son of Edward Tully and his wife "Rachael" or he could be the son of Joseph Tully and his wife "Susannah" as both Edward and Joseph had sons called "William" in the same area of Devon in the same year.
William and Margaret had a large number of children in Australia and l'm hoping that someone / anyone who has knowledge of this family may be able to assist.   

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: The ancestry of William Tully, died Murwillumbah, NSW, 1921.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have checked the Australian Death index for a William Tully in 1921 and there is only one, and he has a middle initial J and his parents were a WILLIAM and RACHAEL.

There are also numerous trees online on Anc*, but most seem to be in the same quandary with regards to parentage, although one has the death record mentioned above.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is also this tree submitted here, with the middle name JOHN

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3SSG-X7V

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to establish the paternity of William Tully (1845-1921)
William was born in Galmpton, Devon, UK. circa 1845 and emigrated to Australia at the age of seventeen where he met and married Margaret Glue in December 1865. My problem is that there are two possible candidates for the father of William, he is "probably" either the son of Edward Tully and his wife "Rachael" or he could be the son of Joseph Tully and his wife "Susannah" as both Edward and Joseph had sons called "William" in the same area of Devon in the same year.
William and Margaret had a large number of children in Australia and l'm hoping that someone / anyone who has knowledge of this family may be able to assist.

Hi there,

Welcome to RChat  :)

Re the marriage in Australia in December 1865 ... Do you have a transcription of that marriage?  If so, what information is on it re the parents?  If it is a NSW marriage, it is possible that there's some elusive blanks on the NSW BDM records at that time.  NSW BDM online index even acknowledges these 'flaws'.  The info re parents, age of the bride and groom, their places of birth, occupations etc was recorded at the parish registers, but only summaries sent to NSW BDM.   It is possible to seek out the original parish registers and learn what first hand information was given to the clergy by the groom....

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
NSW BDM online index has 1865 marriage for William TULLY and Margaret GLUE registered Berrima district #1647 .  Date of marriage drills down to 13 December 1865.

Please have a read through the following thread (re elusive blanks on NSW BDM marriage certs)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
The NSW BDM online index shows

15 August 1921 
William J TULLY, parents as William and Rachael,
death registered Murwillumbah District  #15275

9 November 1921
Margaret S TULLY, father as -- GLUE, aged 79 years died Murrwillumbah,
death registered Murwillumbah District # 19960

There’s an RChatter looking for NSW family with surname GLUE or GLEW, perhaps they have extended searches and have some info to share
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715943.0

Cheers,  JM

Offline RaeMcG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there, no William was the son of Edward and Rachel. He came to Australia and his mother Rachel gave him a bible with a note in it wishing him luck. William is my great great grandfather. I have som e pics of William, Margaret Glue, his mum and dad and his brothers and sisters. Thanks Raelene

Offline Dglew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you are aware but William Tully was not the only "Tully" to marry a "Glue", back in England and several decades later Frederick Tully, a relative of William's from the same village in Devon, married my Great Aunt Daisy Glew / Glue (my grandfather's sister), a relative of Margaret's.
A co-incidence or what!!

Offline RaeMcG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Wow that is crazy stuff isn't it. I met a girl years ago up in Toowoomba who had the maiden name of Glue and was from the Berrima district. I have traced back william's maternal family (dart) back to 1670 in Devon but got somewhat lost once I got to Edward Tully. I do not know much more of his parents but would be keen to know more. William Tully was a builder of the kangaroo valley bridge and there are pictures around of the Tully family home when they lived near Sutton Forest before moving to the tweed.