Author Topic: Nursing Sister Clara Evans  (Read 7268 times)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Nursing Sister Clara Evans
« on: Friday 03 April 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the details of Nursing Sister Clara Evans, Princes Christians Army Nursing Service, who died in Bloemfontein during the Second Boer War from Enteric Fever, on 31st May1900. Below is a copy of the details that I have currently received. Would be most grateful if any member can add any further personal details of Clara for example parents – schools attended – anything of interest about Clara

Would also be grateful for a clear photograph of the stained glass memorial window in St. John’s Church; not a copy from the web page as this does not produce a good photo

My regards, Tony

Clara Evans was born in 1871 at the corner shop, opposite St. John’s, Ravenhead, St. Helen’s she was a former Sunday school teacher at St. John’s Ravenhead. On 30th April 1896 aged 26 she joined the London Hospital, Whitechapel training at Tredegar House; said to be the first Nurse training school in England; and appointed Staff Nurse 0n 13th June 1898.

With the outbreak of the Second Boer War in 1899 Clara enrolled in the Princess Christian’s Army Nursing Service Reserve on 18th December 1899, Roll number 132 and on Saturday, 21st December 1899, with a group of Nurses selected by Princess Alexandra, she sailed from Southampton, at 18.15, on the S.S. Dunotter Castle to South Africa. On arrival in South Africa Clara was posted to 1st General Hospital, Wynberg and later, in May 1900, transferred to; probably a field hospital, in Bloemfontein where, on 31st May 1900 she unfortunately died from Enteric Fever.

In 1920 St. Helens Council commissioned a memorial for the Town Hall on which Clara was included. She is said to have been the first woman in Britain to be included on a war memorial.

Her former colleagues at the Mellish Ward, London Hospital (Named after the ‘Elephant Man’ who died there) paid for and placed a clock on the ward in her memory. Inscribed on the clock were the words, 'IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF CLARA EVANS (NURSE MELLISH FROM 1898 TO 1899) FROM HER FELLOW NURSES. SHE DIED WHILST SERVING OUR SICK SOLDIERS AT BLOEMFONTEIN, MAY 31ST 1900
                            Adapted from St. John’s website and other sources by Tony Murphy April 2015

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nursing Sister Clara Evans
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Could this be Clara in 1881?

Class: RG11; Piece: 3581; Folio: 65; Page: 45
17 Everton Grove, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Jones, Thomas  Head  Widower  M  68  Non-Conformist Minister  b Hawarden, Flintshire
Jones, Jessie H  Daughter  Unmarried  F  b Liverpool
Evans, Laura  Boarder    F  11  Scholar  b Prescot
Evans, Clara  Boarder  F  10  Scholar  b Prescot

St Helens is a parish within the Prescot Registration District?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
KG

Thanks for your interest.  I cannot say NO! as she appears to have been a bit of a traveller, Nurse training in London, so I have kept your details and will let you know if they do refer to my Clara.

My regards

Tony

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
This is the only one I can see and she ties in with KG's find.

1871 3860/65/19

Clara a Evans 11 months b Prescot

Parents, William 44 yrs Brewer employing 5 men born Denbighshire
Elizabeth 33 yrs b Prescot

There are several siblings, including Louisa, 1yr. - maybe the Laura from 1881

In 1881, William is a widow, living at 1 Church Street, Prescot. He is still a Brewer.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
1891 3016/84/22

Clara Evans 21 yrs b Prescot, living on her own means, is a visitor in the household of Joseph and Mary E Massey, Eccleston.

1871, she had a sister Mary Elizabeth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is showing just 2 possible births?

Both June qtr 1870
Clara Evans           born Prescott district     vol 8b, page 617
Clara Annie Evans  born West Derby district (Liverpool)    vol 8b, page 379
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks KG & Heywood

After studying both your posts I think that I can accept them as referring to my Clara for the following reasons:-

I accept her birth being June 1870 quarter rather than the 1871 quoted by St. John’s profile. The 1871 reference identifying her parents and her age 11 months would also appear to confirm this.

Her father, being a Brewer would suggest the family were reasonably financially comfortable allowing Clara some mobile independence hence her boarding with Thomas Jones a Non-Conformist Minister; possibly studying religious details: that would tie in with her later occupation as a Sunday school teacher; also the comment, in the 1891 details “living on her own means” and her age 21 would also confirm  her birth year as 1870.

Forgive the delay with my response but I have a physical restriction with my arms and hands where my fingers type what they decide not what I instruct so a deal of spelling corrections.

Most grateful for your time and interest

Tony

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
KG an Heywood

From the info that you provided I did a bit more research and added a bit more life to Clara's profile
would welcome your comments, Tony :-

Clara Evans was born in the June Quarter of 1870 at the corner shop, opposite St. John’s, Ravenhead, St. Helen’s, to William and Elizabeth Evans and had a 10 year old sister Mary Elizabeth. Her father was a Brewer employing 5 staff suggesting that the family were financially comfortable. In 1881, when Clara was 10 years old she was a scholar and boarding at 17 Everton Grove owned by Thomas Jones a Non-Conformist Minister, whether she was studying religious matters is not recorded but could suggest why she was later a Sunday school teacher at St. John’s, Ravenhead.

In 1891 she is recorded as 21 and “living on her own means”, she was a visitor in the household of Joseph and Mary Elizabeth Massey in Eccleston. It is interesting to note that on 18th September 1889 Christ Church, Eccleston records the marriage of Joseph Massey and Mary Elizabeth Evans aged 28; so Clara was obviously staying with her Sister and Brother in Law.

I have no record of Clara’s activities between 1891 and 1896 until. On 30th April 1896 when aged 26 she joined the London Hospital, Whitechapel training at Tredegar House; said to be the first Nurse training school in England; and appointed Staff Nurse 0n 13th June 1898.

With the outbreak of the Second Boer War in 1899 Clara enrolled in the Princess Christian’s Army Nursing Service Reserve on 18th December, Roll number 132 and on Saturday, 21st December 1899, with a group of Nurses selected by Princess Alexandra, she sailed from Southampton, at 18.15, on the S.S. Dunotter Castle to South Africa arriving early January 1900. On arrival Clara was posted to 1st General Hospital, Wynberg, no details of her experiences there but later, in May 1900, Clara was transferred to, probably a field hospital, in Bloemfontein where, on 31st May 1900 she unfortunately contracted and died from Enteric Fever.

In 1920 St. Helens Council commissioned a memorial for the Town Hall on which Clara was included. She is said to have been the first woman in Britain to be included on a war memorial.

Later St. John’s Church, Ravenhead, St. Helen’s installed a stained glass window, in three sections, to commemorate the death of Sister Clara Evans.

Her former colleagues at the Mellish Ward, London Hospital (Named after the ‘Elephant Man’ who lived and died there) paid for and placed a clock on the ward in her memory. Inscribed on the clock were the words, 'IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF CLARA EVANS (NURSE MELLISH FROM 1898 TO 1899) FROM HER FELLOW NURSES. SHE DIED WHILST SERVING OUR SICK SOLDIERS AT BLOEMFONTEIN, MAY 31ST 1900’.             
 Adapted from St. John’s website, members of Rootschat Forum and other sources by Tony Murphy April 2015

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 April 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
This is Clara's baptism

Baptism: 19 Apr 1870 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Clara Evans - [Child] of William Evans & Elizabeth
    Abode: Whiston
    Baptised by: Geo. Holloway Curate

and her siblings