Author Topic: Alexander COLLINGRIDGE convicted 1877  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander COLLINGRIDGE convicted 1877
« on: Friday 03 April 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Alexander COLLINGRIDGE was convicted of Larceny on 13 Nov 1877 after a trial in Manchester and jailed for 4 months.

I don't have an Alexander in my database and have not been able to find anything more about him.  I have tried before without any success: no birth, no marriage, no death nor anything in censuses, electoral rolls

There is, however, an article in the Newcastle Journal of 23 Feb 1850 where an Alexander COLLINGRIDGE is described as a "Managing Director" in connection with the loss of a ship (the Cleopatra) carrying timber. Case was found against him.

This may be the same Alexander but I wouldn't expect a case in London in 1850 would be connected to the later case in Manchester in 1877.

Can anyone help with Alexander please.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander COLLINGRIDGE convicted 1877
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
I don't think those two cases are connected as the one reported was for fraud and the one Alexander was jailed for was for larceny (theft of personal property). He isn't appearing anywhere though! 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
I don't think those two cases are connected as the one reported was for fraud and the one Alexander was jailed for was for larceny (theft of personal property). He isn't appearing anywhere though!

Thank you for your reply.  I didn't think they were connected either but that does present another question :) Who was the second Alexander??  I don't have any Alexanders before 1950.

Glad it isn't just me he's avoiding!  At least it means it's not a case of my not being able to see for looking :)

The elder Alexander would probably have been around 30, so born about 1820?  There's no age for the younger one but could possibly be son of the elder?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
I've searched several sites and nothing, not even on Family Seach or Freebmd - no births, deaths or marriages . I wonder if he changed the spelling of his name or perhaps wasn't called Alexander.  The only Alexander Collingridges that are coming up are several who have been born recently!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 15 00:23 BST (UK) »
  Quite  a few Alexander  Collins about  , ,  but not Collingridge ,  he  may have  changed  his  name  completely  ,   as did  someone  on  my   husbands side  did ,   for  30 years,   then giving  his   original  name  on  his  marriage cert ,  10 years before  he died  !   

Wonder  if the  Prison records  would  reveal more  info,  ( other than  what is online ? )

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
I've searched several sites and nothing, not even on Family Seach or Freebmd - no births, deaths or marriages . I wonder if he changed the spelling of his name or perhaps wasn't called Alexander.  The only Alexander Collingridges that are coming up are several who have been born recently!

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a news item has misnamed someone.  It happened on another of my families.  In that case the item had the surname completely wrong.

I'm not sure how to figure out whether he was Alexander or not nor whether he was really a COLLINGRIDGE for which there are at least 22 alternative, variant and misspellings some of which are highly creative!  I think I'll sleep on it :)

Thabk you for your input.  It's much appreciated.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
Quite  a few Alexander  Collins about  , ,  but not Collingridge ,  he  may have  changed  his  name  completely  ,   as did  someone  on  my   husbands side  did ,   for  30 years,   then giving  his   original  name  on  his  marriage cert ,  10 years before  he died  !   

Wonder  if the  Prison records  would  reveal more  info,  ( other than  what is online ? )

Thank you for your reply.

If the prison records still exist, they may do.  I'll have a hunt around tomorrow, erm, later today.

If he changed his name, it could be pure luck finding him.  It doesn't help not knowing how old he was either.  Then there's the question of the other Alexander COLLINGRIDGE! One fraud, one larceny and 27 years apart.

One of my cousins and his wife legally changed their name from COLLINGRIDGE to COLLINS, including their children's, so Alexander, 1 and/or 2 wouldn't be the only ones.

Thank you again.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 April 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
There is an Ambrose Collingridge, born Somerton, Oxfordshire according to censuses 1871 onwards. He is in Dewsbury, Yorkshire in 1871 but by 1881 his family are in Manchester area.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
There is an Ambrose Collingridge, born Somerton, Oxfordshire according to censuses 1871 onwards. He is in Dewsbury, Yorkshire in 1871 but by 1881 his family are in Manchester area.

Ah, I was right.  He was the Inland Revenue Officer.  He's retired and only visiting in 1881 but in 1891 he and his wife are in Droylesden and he's a retired civil servant. Died Chorlton RD 1900.

I'll have a dig around for him. I'm sure I have some more information about him somewhere from years back.

You're thinking maybe Ambrose and the elder Alexander could be one and the same? Or perhaps brothers? Similar age and suddenly appearing.