Author Topic: Where am I No 7?  (Read 12409 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Where am I No 7?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Is that a coat of arms over the door?

The chimneys and brickwork pattern remind me of Hampton Court, obviously not that, but perhaps built at the same time?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
I was thinking Elizabethan Manor House and possibly the rear.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 April 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few houses with the same style brickwork :) Now to

widen the search ;)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 07:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry Maureen, Groom, Joy and George, didn't mean to over look you!  :-[ :-[

Thank you for taking part, I'm glad you are all enjoying these, I have to admit I'm having quite a bit of fun myself!  ;D ;D ;D

Just want to point out that I do not think this one has any connection to the others, whereas it's possible that the others, including the two new ones, do have a connection.  I'm only saying that though based on the style of the photo.  This one is a "black and white" with the white border and appears to have been taken later than the others.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 April 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Very interesting group of photographs.. This one has the Tudor brickwork and chimney style of Hampton Court Palace as previously referred to. Is this photograph connected to the rest of the WAI's and the "Clifton-Brown" family?..

Regards

John
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 April 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Cazza doesn't think it's connected to the other WAI photos for the reasons outlined in the reply

before yours. Just for interest the brickwork style is called 'diaper' brickwork. I've hunted and

hunted but haven't found it yet :) I live in hope ;D ;D

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 April 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joy,

I have had a cursory look and intrigued as to the architect of this building as surely it must be connected to the Hampton Court Palace architect as the facades and brickwork are very similar..

John
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 April 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
However,......similar patterns appear in the brickwork at Eton College and many other buildings.

I wondered if it was actually later (built perhaps in 19th century) in the style of previous Elizabethan or Jacobean buildings.  The Victorians were quite good at imitating the past.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 April 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
I think you could be right Nell, there was a resurgence of Jacobean and Elizabethan styles

from about 1830's/40's to about 1860's.

Even knowing that hasn't helped me identify the correct building...drat ;D ;D

Joy