Author Topic: William Charles Neilson born Edinburgh 1856  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
William Charles Neilson born Edinburgh 1856
« on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there

WILLIAM CHARLES NEILSON - a 1st cousin 3 times removed - was born 15 Apr 1856, at 3 Abercromby Place, St Andrew, Edinburgh, Midlothian and is in the 1861 Census Residing at the same address. There are no further records of Census, Marriage or Death for William in the UK although I believe he was living in Edinburgh in 1868 according to a Notice of Sequestration citing his father James Neilson, a Solicitor in the Supreme Court.  I've also found these notices in the Australian press archives:

"The Queenslander" Brisbane, Queensland : Saturday 19 March 1887
"Missing Friends, Messages, etc, 
ARTHUR CUBITT, "THE ARCADE," KING-STREET, SYDNEY.
MISSING FRIENDS AND GENERAL INQUIRY AGENT.
Certificates Obtained of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.  Copies of Wills and other Deeds Obtained.
Strictly Private Inquiries ...
HEIRS WANTED. — If ROBERT DE LISLE NEILSON and WILLIAM NEILSON, sons of the late James Neilson, Solicitor, Edinburgh, Scotland, will communicate with MESSRS. GIBSON & STRATHERN, W.S., 12 Charlotte-street, Edinburgh, Scotland, they will hear of something to their advantage. 
Any friends of the Messrs. Neilson are requested to communicate this advertisement to them"
[This notice appeared again in "The Queenslander" Brisbane, Queensland, on Saturday 26 March 1887, Saturday 2 April 1887, Saturday 9 April 1887]

"The Sydney Morning Herald" New South Wales : Friday 28 January 1887
"PERSONAL
WILLIAM CHARLES NEILSON, second son of the late James Neilson, solicitor, Edinburgh, last heard of in Auckland, New Zealand, by communicating with the undersigned will hear of something to his advantage.
LAURENCE and RICH, Solicitors, 35, Castlereagh-street, Sydney, N.S.W."

I believe William married Anne Eliza Toner on 18 Jul 1879 in Queensland, Australia. There is no record of any children born to them in Queensland, so I'm assuming they moved to New Zealand shortly after they were married.

I've traced William's brother Robert's life in Australia so no problems there. It's William who is the "brick wall"  >:(

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles Neilson born Edinburgh 1856
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't see any children to this couple or a death for them

Cheers Janette

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 15 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for linking the posts Neil  :)  Thanks for looking for any children Janette  :)

I'm still on the hunt for more information but not getting anywhere really!

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
It doesn't look as though he remained in NZ.

I don't see any reference to him in NZ using his full name there are several William Neilson's

Cheers Janette

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying Janette, but we've had a glorious day here in East Fife today which necessitated the loungers getting looked out along with the factor 30 sun cream after the essential gardening was done!  The warm sunshine is still with us at quarter to seven in the evening  8) although we've moved indoors now.

Re cousin William - there's a multitude of William, Will, Wm and W Neilson names out there but none of them seem to tally >:(

Surely there's someone out there who's related.  Come on RootsChatters, I've NEVER been let down yet!

Chiad Fhear

Regards

Chiad Fhear