Author Topic: How can I find the connection?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can I find the connection?
« on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Cowling (formerly Metcalfe) was born about 1817 in Fellbeck, Pateley Bridge, West Riding of Yorkshire about 1817.  She was my 4x great grandmother.

I am wondering if there is any connection to George Metcalf/e who came from Grinton, Yorkshire.

He was the second husband of my 3x great grandmother Ann Huddlestone (formerly Willan).

I have taken George's line back a couple of generations but the two paths haven't crossed yet.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find the connection?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Metcalf(e) is a very common name in that part of Yorkshire, and especially so in the area around Grinton, so the chances of there being a connection are actually fairly low.

The Metcalfe Society (one of the largest one name societies) has collected a large number of names from parish registers and other documents, and many of these have been organised into family groups. Joining the society would give you access to this database, and since you have two (currently) separate lines from the Metcalfe heartlands, it's quite likely that you would be able to make contact and share information with others researching one or other of the same families.

Arthur
(Metcalfe Society member)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find the connection?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
I'll do that, thanks.