Author Topic: Patrick J. McDonough, North Quincy, Massachusetts (B-17 Tail Gunner) KIA 1944  (Read 1362 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for the descendants / family members of Sgt. Patrick J. McDonough of North Quincy, Massachusetts.

Sgt. McDonough was a tail gunner aboard a B-17 named the Punched Fowl stationed at Doepham Green, England in 1944.  His plane was shot down by German fighters on 12 May 1944 near Ohren, Limburg, Germany during a bombing mission targeting the oil refineries at Brux, Czechoslovakia.

Sgt. McDonough perished in the crash along with Sgt. Willard D. Morgan of Savannah, Georgia, Sgt. Francis J. Nader of Redlands, California, and Francis J. Carr of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

My ancestor, Francis J. Carr, is interred with Patrick J. McDonough at the Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale, New York. Below is a posting I have created on findagrave.com

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSmid=48319966&GRid=82584510&

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick J. McDonough, North Quincy, Massachusetts (B-17 Tail Gunner) KIA 1944
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

It seems this was a popular name - there are at least 6 WW2 Army Enlistment records for Patrick J McDonough. All enlisted Boston Massachusetts.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick J. McDonough, North Quincy, Massachusetts (B-17 Tail Gunner) KIA 1944
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
In the 1945 Boston, Mass. city directory, there is an entry for Patk. McDonough, husband of Margt., who died May 11, 1944.  It says they lived at 254 C, South Boston.  There is also an entry in that directory for Margt. McDonough, widow of Patrick, who died Feb. 9, 1945.  That doesn't give an address, so I'm not sure if that's the same Margaret.  There are a lot of McDonoughs in that directory.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
This family on the 1940 census is at 254 C Street - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K4JL-9NF

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
MACR #4821 (Missing Aircraft Report) for McDonough's B-17 has a list of "next to kin" notifications for those airmen either captured or killed.  McDonough's mother is listed (it does not appear that he was married).

Mrs. Mary McDonough (mother)
325 Atlantic
North Quincy, Massachusetts

I am not sure if North Quincy has been incorporated into Boston or not.  The McDonough name is very common in the Boston area.  He may have been a second or third generation Irish immigrant.