Author Topic: Cowling - passenger on Rimutaka - 1887  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cowling - passenger on Rimutaka - 1887
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
The vessel Rimutaka sailed from Wellington for London on 10 February 1887. According to newspaper reports included amongst the steerage passengers was a Frederick Cowling.

Is there any more detailed passenger list, or record of his arrival in London, that might provide additional personal details that could help me identify this person more fully?

(Correction of previous post )

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cowling - passenger on Rimutaka - 1887
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
I find another reference to him (Mr F. Cowling) on the 7th Feb as among those passengers booked on the s.s. Rotorua from Onehunga, proceeding to Wellington in order to catch the Rimutaka.

There's also a Mr Cowling (not specified) into Wellington 4th Jan 1888 on the Tongariro.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12063-17232-95?cc=1609792

The Tongariro appears to have come to Wellington from London via Cape-town and Hobart. I wonder if he could have been merely passing through, perhaps from Australia?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jorose. That is thought provoking.

I am interested in  a Frederick Cowling, born 1853, a miner who had settled in Thames. I was exploring the possibility that he may have returned to UK for a visit before his marriage in NZ in 1892. What you have discovered still allows for that possibility but without any additional detail, such as age, occupation, residence or destination, it can only be conjecture.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
I have just found a passenger list on line for RMS Tangariro arriving Wellington January 1888 which gives an initial of H for Cowling. Bang goes the theory!