Author Topic: Henry Cox, Silk merchant, Shoreditch  (Read 3988 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cox, Silk merchant, Shoreditch
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
William appears on two documents his own marriage and that of his daughter both occasions he is a cork cutter

Just to add to that list, when the other daughter Alice Agatha Cox married in 1890 she also names her father as William Cox, a cork cutter. At least they are all very consistent.

I have to say that I am not at all convinced that the Henry Cox, feather merchant, at 8 Motley Street in 1851 is the Henry Cox, silk merchant, named on your William's marriage certificate. It's the wrong occupation and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a family connection. Who were the witnesses to William and Charlotte's marriage ? Any clues there?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 April 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
There's a report in the Brighton Gazette of 25 September 1856 (page 6 column 1) concerning a lad named William Cox, who was apprenticed to Joseph Lugard, a cork cutter. He was up before the Bench for not doing his work.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
I too have doubts the silk and feather Henry Cox are the same and William never appears as a son on census with his father to confirm.

I would make a point which can lead people astray - just because father is not noted as deceased it doesn't mean he wasn't deceased.  Always something to bear in mind  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline clalouha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Yes I too have my doubts that Henry Cox on the marriage certificate is the Henry Cox in the census as William isn't there, but he was the only Henry Cox I could find and thought that Silk and Feather Merchant were close enough! But happy to concede it's not him!
Witnesses to William and Charlotte's wedding are a Robert Gathercoal and a Charles Johnson ?? which don't seem very helpful! Interestingly Charlotte's father is an artificial flower manufacturer which is also why I decided to try to make silk merchant fit with Feather merchant?!
Appreciate that William might be deceased even though not marked as such, have tried to find a death record but difficult to know where he would have been living.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 April 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Robert Gathercoal was a cork cutter too. He married Mary Cane in Bethnal Green in 1867. (Ancestry has transcribed his name as Robert Catherine in the London Marriages dataset)

I found another William Cox, cork cutter, in Leeds, born 1831. His father was John Cox, a weaver.

Offline clalouha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 April 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Had found the William Cox cork cutter in Leeds he gets married to someone called Emma Tate in Leeds in 1867 so I decided he wasn't my William, really good info about Robert Gathercoal being a cork cutter too!