Author Topic: JAMES HENLEY 1793 HOLBORN  (Read 3469 times)

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
JAMES HENLEY 1793 HOLBORN
« on: Monday 06 April 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have come to the end of the road with my Henley family and wonder if anyone can help me get back further than 1793?

Boot maker James HENLEY born 1793/4 Holborn married twice - m 5 Aug 1816 to Anne STRONG b1797-1854 and then on 30 Apr 1857 Islington married spinster Mary Ann MARSHALL b1810.

On the 1857 marriage banns for James and Mary Ann his father is given as Joseph HENLEY a whitesmith.  That is all I have been able to find for his father. Source Citation London Metropolitan Archives, All Saints, Battle Bridge, Register of marriages, P83/ALL1, Item 029

Interestingly, on the 1861 census James is the Governor Islington Reformatory, 16 Bryan Street, Islington. He is living with 2nd wife Mary Ann, son John 1834 shoemaker, and granddaughter Mary Ann Frazer 1856. 32 Reformatory boys aged 9-16. 10 shoemakers, 6 tailors, 14 wood choppers, i brush maker and 1?  I haven't been able to find out any other info on the reformatory.
Source  RG 9/132/102 p 19

Thanks
Carole
SUSSEX: GANDER, HARMES, BURTENSHAW, HEASMAN, CHATFIELD
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS
KINGS LYNN: ASSELL, THURSTON
SUFFOLK: HENLEY , DARE
KENT: ASH, STICKLES
LONDON/MIDDX: HARMES, PIERPOINT, ASSELL, COWLAND, SMART, STRONG,
ESSEX: PIERPOINT, COWLAND,  OLLEY, ALIAS HICKS/KING
AUSTRALIA: ALIAS HICKS KING
CANADA: AYERS

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES HENLEY 1793 HOLBORN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
No sign of a baptism for James but the following may be of interest:
18 May 1814: Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900 has a Joseph Henly, 46, born Holborn London, formerly a Smith, enlisted in the 3rd Foot, 2nd Battalion, 5'5 1/2", dark hair, dark skin, long face, grey eyes, transferred from the first battalion. This is most likely the same Joseph Henley who died in the Chelsea Hospital in 1833, age 65. Further records show that Joseph Henley, white smith of St Andrew Holborn, age 49, was on 22 Oct 1816, receiving a pension due to chronic rheumatism.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
A baptism at St Andrew Holborn for James William HINDLEY on 30 Jun 1794 to Joseph and Mary. On the marriage entry of James William Henley and Ann Strong he signs his own name and it reads very much as HINDLEY?

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much jomcd967 that is absolutely brilliant information about Joseph Henley/Henly/Hindley  ;D ;D

I have come off of Ancestry for the moment but I updated my tree with Joseph's name and dates and all the records are coming up.  It will be interesting to find out now if Joseph was involved in  the battle of Waterloo. Also if he transferred from the 1st Battalion I wonder if that meant that he was in the army before 1814 and that was the date of his tansfer?

Thanks again for your help ;)
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
There are reports of the Islington Reformatory in the Islington Gazette mentioning the master Mr Henley.

Here's one from 1856:

"The Reformatory is fortunate in the Master (Mr HENLEY) who has control of the home. He is singularly self-devoted and has not shrunk back, even when left to carry forward the work alone, and by the outlay of his own savings. He is a shoemaker by trade and has taught some of the boys to pursue his own occupation."
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Awe, ShaunJ that newspaper article is so lovely.  Sound like the boys were very lucky to have him.  Thank you so much for that.
I'll go and goodle the Islington Gazette now   ;D