Author Topic: Jane Ann Stewart - Hexham  (Read 9425 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Ann Stewart - Hexham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I haven't ordered the 1877 birth certificate yet, although I am fairly convinced that it is probably 'my' Jane's, as there is no other record in Hexham that could possibly related to her.

I also had come across Rosannah Stewart in 1871, and then disregarded her once I had seen Jane and William's marriage certificate where Jane had listed a 'John Stewart' as her father.

I did trace Rosannah back to 1841, where she can be found with her parents, Shaw Stewart and his wife, Mary, in Dumbartonshire - her year of birth given as 1838, but where she was in 1851 and 1861 is still eluding me!

I am handing over the family history later this week, if Jane's descendant wants to pursue her further, I will suggest buying that particular birth certificate, as I believe it's purchase may be the only other way forward with her.

Sue

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have now bought the 1877 Hexham birth certificate - this must be 'our' Jane, as this is the only Jane Ann Stewart born in Hexham within the correct date range.

Jane was born on the 22nd January 1877 in Hexham Union Workhouse, daughter of Rachel Stewart, a hawker. Rachel registered the birth on the 9th March, giving her address as Gilesgate, Hexham.

Can anybody find her from this?

Sue

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Just going to back to who SelDen found in 1871:

Rosannah Stewart - unmarried and aged 33 years - living in Gilesgate, Hexham, occupation a hawker.
Very tempting to think that this is 'Rachel' who gives the same address and occupation, coupled with the fact that Jane Ann only had two daughters, one named Jane Ann and the other, Rosanna.

Sue

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 April 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
Your idea about Rosannah and Rachel possibly being one and the same is an interesting one.

I note that a Rachel Stewart was baptised in Hexham in 1855 according to www.familysearch.org parents Hugh and Mary Jane . A Rachel Stewart then appears to have had a son named Jacobson Stewart baptised in Hexham in 1874, and a daughter named Sarah Isabella bap in 1879 no father's name given.

Coming back to your Jane, if this is Rachel's daughter baptised in Hexham parish church, I wonder how this fits in with her sojourn in the Convent of the Good Shepherd? It would not be conclusive either way, but do you know where Jane's children were baptised? Of course if she and William did not marry until later they may have avoided baptising the children or may have gone to the local C of E church where there were less likely to be awkward questions asked.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 April 15 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I have been wondering whether you might wish to seek assistance from the Rootschat board dealing with travellers, as a travelling background may be one reason why Jane's antecedents are so hard to find. A very quick scan of subject headings on that board shows that there were northern travelling families called Stewart. There are a sprinkling of Northumberland entries on George Carter's website, though no Rachel Stewart:
https://sites.google.com/site/soldierssailersandstrangers/home

The 1877 birth certificate gives Rachel's occupation as hawker. I have also just come across seen some articles dealing with the death of Joseph Douglas (known as "Newcastle Geordie") in Yorkshire in 1885. He and Samuel Carney, a 53 year old drover, were both drunk and got into a fight and Joseph Douglas died. Samuel Carney was eventually convicted of manslaughter and got three months.

A woman named Rachel Stewart is described as being in company with Joseph Douglas, Samuel Carney and a man named William Ingram, as well as her two children. An article in the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer of 6 July 1885 describes Rachel Stewart as the wife of John Stewart, travelling basket maker.

Needless to say, I have still not been able to find this Rachel Stewart in the 1881 or another census, and I have no idea whether she is the same woman who had 3 illegitimate children in Hexham.

Good luck. An interesting line.

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi SelDen,

Wow!! Thanks for that - worth looking into perhaps!

I contacted Hexham registrars and asked if they could confirm the mother's name, address and occupation for Jacobson and Isabella (Sarah Isabella). A bit cheeky I know!

They confirmed that Rachel was living in Gilesgate, Hexham at the time of Jacobson's birth (no occupation), and was in Hexham Union Workhouse at the time of Isabella's birth (occupation - hawker).
So I believe that she was the mother of all three children - and I also am fairly convinced, especially from what you have found, that she was travelling around after the birth of her third child and therefore has not been pinned down by a census report.

The sad thing is, that Jane Ann's two daughters, Jane Ann and Rosanna, both died fairly recently - they could have told us so much about their mother!

Sue