Author Topic: HAYWARD c1836 Leicester  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
HAYWARD c1836 Leicester
« on: Monday 06 April 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Leicester is not somewhere I have researched before so I am a bit out of my depth and am hoping sks may be able to help  ;D

Mary Ann HAYWARD born c1833
Philip HAYWARD born c1833
Richard HAYWARD born c1836 (my 2x Great Grandfather)

These three siblings all appear consistently on censuses as having been born in Leicester although Andrew, their older brother was born in c1831 in Shrewsbury and William, their younger brother was born in 1846 in West Bromwich (I have his birth certificate) where the family settled.

The parents are (I think) William HAYWARD and Mary Anne (possibly EVANS), at least for the older children, but William's mother is Sophia (nee BAILEY) - and she is with William on the 1841 census back in Shrewsbury (Piece: 927; Book: 13; Civil Parish: St Mary; County: Shropshire; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 30; Page: 3).

I have never been able to find a marriage for Sophia and William, nor baptisms for any of the Leicester born children.

If anyone can help me find out where in Leicestershire (the census says Leicester, but ...) my family went on their quick trip across the border I would be really grateful!

Thank you!

Liz  8)
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: HAYWARD c1836 Leicester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Are these anything to do with your ancestors?

Name:    Richard Hayward
Event Type:    Census
Event Date:    1871
Relationship to Head of Household:    Head
Birthplace:    Leicestershire ( suggests county and not city)
Schedule Type:    Household
Registration District:    West Bromwich
Sub-District:    West Bromwich, South-West
Parish:    West Bromwich
County:    Staffordshire
Household    Role    Gender    Age    Birthplace
Richard Hayward    Head    M    35    Leicestershire
Annie Hayward    Wife    F    33    Tenbury, Leicestershire ( doesn't make sense)
Louisa Hayward    Daughter    F    7    West Bromwich, Staffordshire
Matilda Heyward    Daughter    F    3    West Bromwich, Staffordshire
Richard Heyward    Son    M    0    West Bromwich, Staffordshire
Sarah Jane Evans    Servant    F    14    West Bromwich, Staffordshire ( wondered if there was some connection re the Evans name)

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 15 18:54 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary baptised in Kirby Bellars which  is a village and civil parish near Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire ( East Leicestershire) but she died and no Richard/Philip baptisms
Name:    Mary Haywood
Christening Date:    09 Sep 1832
Christening Place:    KIRBY BELLARS,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
Death Date:    23 Feb 1836
Father's Name:    William Haywood
Mother's Name:    Mary
County   Leicestershire
Place   Kirby Bellars
MarriageDate   30 Nov 1829
GroomForename   William
GroomSurname   HAYWOOD
GroomOccupation   Servant
BrideForename   Mary
BrideSurname   BIDDLES
BrideOccupation   Servant
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Iluleah,

Thanks for replying - yes, that's my 2xGreat Grandfather with his family - the Richard Heyward who is a baby  :-* is my Great Grandfather.

Annie Hayward (nee Pritchard, was from Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire  ::)) - I'd not noticed that before, nor that they had a servant called Sarah Jane Evans - I guess she could be a cousin or something?

The only bit of my Hayward tree that I am VERY certain of is that the baby on this census was my Grandfathers Dad - photographic evidence is irrefutable!  And also, that the baby Richard THOUGHT his mother and father were called Richard and Annie ... I also have baby Richard's birth certificate which names Richard and Annie as the parents...

My Dad's y-DNA test has rather blown our tree apart ... we are definitely not related to Richard's (the father in this census) cousins' descendants ...

It's so complicated - I was hoping the answer might turn up in Leicester(shire)!

Thanks,

Liz

ADDED: Ahh - interesting, thanks - my Mary (Ann) definitely survived - my Grandad knew of her and I have her marriage certificate.  I think Leicester is stated on another census > off to look.
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Here it is: Piece: 2030; Folio: 5; Page: 4, I've attached a screenshot of the family in 1861.  But maybe he didn't really know?

Liz
Research interests:

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
These would appear to be the baptisms:

WILLIAM & SOPHIA   HAYWOOD           1833    04-Oct   ST MARTIN'S  Leicester   MARY ANN   
WILLIAM & SOPHIA   HAYWARD         1832    10-Jul   ST MARTIN'S, LEICESTER   PHILIP
WILLIAM & SOPHIA   HAYWARD           1835    30-Dec   ST MARTIN'S  LEICESTER    RICHARD

but as this suggests that Sophia was William's wife, rather than mother, does that confuse things?

(edited - sorry, muddled myself; you meant that you knew that Sophia was the mother of the youngest William?)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
St Martin's is the cathedral so bang in the middle of town -- it's where Richard 3 was reinterred recently.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Good grief!  I have spent hours over years looking for these!  Thank you so much!

But,  ::) as you say, one thing solved another problem arises ... although, actually, perhaps Sophia was his wife all along??  I'm now wondering why I thought he married Mary Ann?

They must be the children though ... at last!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

Thank you!!

Liz
Research interests:

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
Ahh - of course - that's why Leicester sounded familiar and in fact I went to a service there back in 1984... I'm not very good at anything geographical north of Sussex I'm afraid  :'(  ::)

Thank you for putting it into context!

Liz  8)
Research interests: