Author Topic: Burgh of Edinburgh  (Read 2079 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burgh of Edinburgh
« on: Monday 06 April 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I have placed this in the correct section.    I have a marriage which took place 3 June 1910 at 7  Hart Street, Edinburgh.   

The certificate states according to the forms of the Church of Scotland - I have not come across this "forms" before - was this a civil ceremony or a church ceremony.

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burgh of Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I have placed this in the correct section.
Yes, you have.

The certificate states according to the forms of the Church of Scotland - I have not come across this "forms" before - was this a civil ceremony or a church ceremony.
This is the standard terminology to describe the type of wedding ceremony - "according to the forms of the xyz church".

Obviously, since it was performed according to the forms (or sometimes rites) of a church, it was a religious ceremony, but not a church ceremony. Getting married in a church is a relatively recent fashion. Until the 20th century most wedding ceremonies were held in the bride's home (I was a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding in the living room of her parents' home in 1978), or in her employer's home if she had no parental home or it was too far away for her to go home for her wedding. Sometimes the wedding was performed in the Manse, which was the home of the officiating minister. In the late 19th century people began to hold the ceremony in hotels or restaurants. Basically you could get married in any building you liked as long as you could find a priest or minister willing to perform the ceremony there.

There was no formal civil ceremony in 1910. If you wanted to get married without involving a minister or priest, you could get married by declaring yourselves to be married in front of witnesses. You could then go with your witnesses to the sheriff court and get a warrant which allowed you to have your marriage entered in the statutory civil register of marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
7 Hart Street Edinburgh was the residence  of the Rev. Thomas Porteous, B.D. in 1910.   St. James' .McDonald Road Edinburgh was where he was the Minister.

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this -  I am learning every day on Scottish records