Author Topic: Reuben Chapman. India  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reuben Chapman. India
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 August 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
The leg work to obtain the lists of records held was done by Justin, a member of the Great War Forum (and other Forums I'm sure)

He also did some work in tracking down where the post 1920 attestation books were sent.

Here's the thread on GWF

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/214248-attestation-books-where-they-were-sent-by-the-modnat-archives/

with this address for your Regiment (post 1)

Regimental Museum
Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire
3 Tower Street
York YO1 9SB

A MoD request can take months and months to resolve  so possibly an enquiry with the Regimental Museum might provide some information to satisfy your query

Offline cheetham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 August 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, my grandfather doesn't appear in the list. His date of birth is 20th Jan 1899. He wasn't 18 when he joined. If he is not on the list does that mean they will not have his records? I will carry on searching! Many thanks for all your help.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 August 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't say with certainty that a name not on the list = no file. There might be something about that aspect in the thread that Justin created when he informed the GWF of his research etc it's a fairly big threads to plough through.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/221706-index-to-be-released-of-pre-1901-dob-service-records-still-held-by-mod/#comment-2195744

Possibly then your way forward in the first instance is an enquiy with the Regimental Museum.