Author Topic: 3rd Great Grandmother Mary, I have hit a massive brick wall  (Read 4546 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd Great Grandmother Mary, I have hit a massive brick wall
« on: Saturday 11 April 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
 3rd Great Grandmother Mary Glue was the 1st born child of 9, her parents wereThomas Glue b 1756 and Ann Taylor born 1758?
Mary was baptised on 8 June 1783 in Rogate, Sussex the index cites father Thomas Glue and mother Ann.
Mary gave birth to a son (I think out of wedlock) in 1809, his name was George Glue. George was a convict sent to Australia in 1834 with his Uncle, Joseph Glue who was Mary's brother.
I have searched often and am unable to come up with anything more for Mary.
I would like to find out if she eventually married and when and where she died.
Any help would be very much appreciated

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Great Grandmother Mary, I have hit a massive brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 15 05:50 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage in Rogate in 1802: Mary Glue and Joseph Taylor https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N29M-2Q6

and this reference to a marriage licence http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SUSSEX-PLUS/2012-05/1336508041

"Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index:
Place: Archdeaconry of Chichester Marriage Licence, Date: 11 Oct 1802:
Subject: Mary GLUE, of Rogate (4 wks) sp age 19 wcof Thomas GLUE of Rogate labr
Spouse: Joseph TAYLOR, of Didling (sev mths) labr bach age 21
Extra Information: Sponsors ss: JT and the said TG (Rogate) "
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 15 06:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I knew of the marriage for Mary and Joseph Taylor, however I disregarded it because this Mary had several children from 1805 to 1829.
This doesn't fit with my Mary's son George Glue born 1809, I'm sure I have the right Mary as George's mother, but, then again stranger things have happened.
The fact that George and Mary's brother were convicts and the family trees and posts I have seen refer to them as Uncle and Nephew being transported together on a ship named the "Houghley"

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.GenesReunited.co.nz/search/results?firstname=mary&lastname=glue&birthyear=1783&birthyear_offset=2&keyword=sussex&sourcecategory=births%252c%2bmarriages%2b%2526%2bdeaths

Maybe you need to work through a list of Mary Glue in Sussex, although how you could tell which woman was the correct one. The only other way would be if she had more children and then they do a family tree that leads back to Mary's Parents

Mary's nephew?
1841 census HO107 1102/3 folio 36 page 5
Midhurst Union Workhouse Easebourne  Sussex   
Josiah Glew 14  Sussex

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, that Josiah Glew is Mary's nephew, he is the son of Mary's brother Joseph, so, I am on the right track with Mary I think. I haven't found any other children for Mary so I guess I have to be content with the little information I have, how one can disappear from records is any ones guess.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
You've most likely thought of this, but have you searched for Mary as Mary Clue or Mary Clew or some other "strange" spelling?  I once found one of my Vaus ancestors as Vans.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I have tried so many spellings and wild cards to no avail, she is a mystery

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 April 15 15:42 BST (UK) »

Mary appears in no records after the birth of her son, and Mary's son, George,  and her brother, Joseph, were comrades in crime and were transported together.

That suggests to me that Mary died when the child was young (perhaps even in childbirth) and that he was raised by her family/uncle. 

Have you seen the PR for the baptism?  Some times details appear that aren't transcribed.  and  bear in mind that not every life event made it into the appropriate record.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Rogate is quite close to the border with Hampshire, I suppose it is a possibility that she died/married in Hampshire?

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)