Author Topic: 1940 census anomaly  (Read 4911 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: 1940 census anomaly
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 April 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
I guess I should thank Granny for not ever mentioning these people in her little family history write-up.  I have had years of fun pursuing the Bacons.  What she did write was, for the most part, accurate but, inevitably, she had to leave some things out and the Bacon family was one of them.  It's odd, though, because some of the Bacons [even Clara who I now know was remarried] were living right there in Hortonville; they were her neighbors in a small town and yet she never mentioned them.  You have to wonder if there was animosity between the Logans and the Bacons for some reason.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1940 census anomaly
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 April 15 00:18 BST (UK) »
Until a couple of years ago, I thought one of my greatgrandmothers was an only child.  While my dad's side of the family supposedly treasured their family members and passed down family stories, nothing was ever passed down mentioning her parents nor siblings.  Until I received her death certificate, we thought her parents were born in England (they were born in Ireland).  It turns out that she most likely had several sisters and possibly a brother who died when he was a toddler.  Her sister even lived with her and her husband during the 1901 Canadian census.

It would be interesting to see if you can track the Bacons' and Logans' movements to see if you can find out if there was a problem between the families.  Now that you have one "problem" solved, perhaps you can tackle a different type of problem.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)