Author Topic: Porter family of Aberdeen  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Porter family of Aberdeen
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

This family has been a blank space on my tree so I decided to look deeper
Henry  Porter b 1.2.1789 Keithhall and Kinkell to a Alexander Porter and Janet Buchan.
I cannot find a marriage between Alexander and Janet on Scotspeople.
Henry porter was a printer by trade and married an Isobella Rutherford the daughter of William Rutherford and Margaret Dougla on the 24.6.1816 Saint Cuthberts
The Rutherfords were from Midlothian.
Henry porter married secondly a Margaret Junor and had two further children
son Francis and daughter Margaret
Margaret Porter married a Andrew Hogg 26.3.1850 Saint Cuthbertts.
Henry's children by Isobella were Clement Porter 1817 and Jane Porter.
Jane married 1 John Brown 4.2.1838 Canongate had one child a son
Married 2 Francis Sharp 13.6.1846 Saint Cuthberts.
Henry porter died 3.12.1848 Edinburgh city has his birth date as 1774 but I think that is an error.
On his death lists his age as 54 giving Henry a birth year of 1794 give or take a few years.
Have added his death from Scots people.
Can anyone help with his parents? Or even siblings?

Image cropped , copyright.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Porter family of Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
From the IGI

Name:    Alexander Porter
Christening Date:    05 Apr 1784
Christening Place:    KEITHHALL AND KINKELL,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
Father's Name:    Alexander Porter
Mother's Name:    Janet Buchan

*one of my ancestors had the parents marriage date on his birth entry
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that but this family is giving me more headaches
In the 1841 Scots census Lists Henry as being born 1801 and from England!
His wife was Margaret age 35
children Margaret 10 and Frances 5 living at 189 Canongate
But I feel this is not my Henry Porter but I cannot dismiss these yet.
Alexander Porter Chris 1784 may be Henry's brother.
Isabella Rutherford died 1818 or 19 her father was William Rutherford from Parksburg?
I feel I'm missing something a clue but I'm not seeing what I'm meant to? Lol
 ???

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Avongirl,

Perhaps you should work back using only verified information.  So far, for sure, you appear to have secured Henry Porter, a printer in Edinburgh, married first to Isabella Rutherford (children Clement & Jean) and second to Margaret Junor (children Francis and Margaret)

In Scotland there was a definite pattern to the naming of children.  Much information is available on the subject, both on this forum and on the web.  Although not always strictly adhered to, the eldest son was usually named after his paternal grandfather and the eldest daughter after her maternal grandmother. In this family group there is neither Alexander nor Janet, but there is Clement! 

The earliest references showing so far for a Clement Porter in Scotland are:
Clement Porter, wine merchant of 34 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, listed continually from 1782-1819.  Note that Fountainbridge is the address given on Henry & Isabella’s marriage cert.  I can’t read the full number on the low resolution copy posted online, but it starts with 3 - check your own copy to see if it is indeed 34.

1733 Clement Porter or Porteous & Frances Ratcliffe marriage, March 6 St Cuthberts
1752 Mary, daughter of Clement Porteous married Thomas Wilson, St Cuthberts
1762 Thomas Porter, son of Clement, doorkeeper in the Exchequer, Edinburgh, apprenticed to John Clark, Goldsmith, for 7 years starting 1 Sep
1785, 1801, 1819 (in St Cuthberts) - Clement Porter deaths, Midlothian
1819 Jean, daughter of Clement Porteous born/baptised, Musselburgh, Midlothian
1838 Jun 26 Clement Porter, upholsterer, and Ann Nicol proclamation of marriage at 130 Canongate.  Witnessed by Alexander Gilchrist, printer of 124 Canongate and Henry Porter, printer of 191 Canongate.  Married 1 July1838 (original copy on A*y family tree)

General info:
Henry & Margaret were at 189 Canongate in 1841. Photos of 189=191 can be seen at http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/52360/details/edinburgh+189+191+canongate/

Edinburgh Times, printed on Saturday of each week, was the creation of Robert Stephen Rintoul and ran from 1825 until spring 1826 when he moved to London to edit the Spectator.  After its sale, the Times united with the Northern Reporter. 

John Glass, witness to Henry Porter & Isobella Rutherford’s wedding, shows in the directories as a printer of 44 South Bridge Street with a stationery warehouse at 2 Roxburgh Place.  He died before the 1841 census but his widow, Elizabeth Craig, also a printer, can be found with their seven children, the eldest son, John aged 17 is an apprentice printer.  Incidental to that, Elizabeth went bankrupt in 1846, offering 1 penny in the pound on her debts.  By 1851, with 3 employees, she apparently bounced back.

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think there were two Henry Porter's in Edinburgh very close in age to my family.
The Clement Porter and Ann Nicol one are not my family because I messaged a person descended from them and he hadn't heard of my family at all.
My Clement Porter by 1838 had arrived in Australia on the Earl Grey and Pardoned 4 years later in 1842
My Clement Porter married a Mary Jane Meehan in 1849 at St Andrews Scots church Sydney.
Clement Porter Passed away 1867 Kempsey, NSW, Australia.
Yes a distant relative has said there was one Henry Porter of Fountainbridge and the other Henry From England.
Once I made contact with the Ann Nicol and Clement Porter person he told me no even when I asked him how come my family had the same addresses as his family no reply.
But my Clement and his are two entirely different people.
Isobella died from Palsy in 1819.
On Henry Porters head stone it states Henry and his wife Margaret had left Scotland for 10 years and I wonder if they traveled to Australia due to Clement arriving here in 1838? The same year they left.
Henry and Margaret died the same year 1848 Henry from Typhus fever and Margaret from Cholera.
Next I want to apply for the second marriage and see plus Clement porters birth and his mothers birth if I can find it.
AvonGirl :)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 15 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again just had a quick glance at the marriage certificate and yes it has 34 Fountainbridge on the certificate.
So is Henry Porters parents a Clement Porter and Jane Ratcliffe?
AvonGirl ???

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
No, Clement Porter and Frances Ratcliff were married in 1733, so could not have had a son, Henry, about 1795. But I would suspect they may fit into his lineage somewhere.  They are possibly the parents of Mary who married in 1752 and Thomas, apprenticed in 1762.

Yes, I can see there are more than one Clement; one born about 1815, an upholsterer who married Ann Nicol, and your one born 1817, a blacksmith who went to Australia.  There is also another born in England who was a canal labourer.  The fact that your Henry witnessed Clement & Ann's marriage in 1838 somehow connects them, Henry's nephew / much younger brother perhaps?

Regarding the headstone: If Henry & Margaret had a child (Francis) about 1838, lived at Canongate in 1841 and Henry died in Edinburgh 1848, they could not have left the country for ten years.

The address of 34 Fountainbridge occurring for both Clement & Henry is too much of a coincidence to be dismissed.  I suspect that Clement who died St Cuthbert's in 1819 is the wine merchant and most likely Henry's father.

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for more info maybe Clement Porter could be the grandfather of Henry Porter.
My Henry was born 1794 Either in England or Scotland? As there is no birth for him in Scotland I'd say England
My next bet is Clement and Jean's birth and see if they show up any new information.
Then The second marriage.
The person I contacted said his porter family is not connected to ours but he could not answer why His Clement porter has father down as Henry Porter also?
Will see what the births etc show up and I'll be back once I get some more credits for scots people
AvonGirl