Author Topic: Help required ! Lost Virginian  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help required ! Lost Virginian
« on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hey Guys...looking for some help please.  I am helping out a family friend who is trying to trace his 2 x great Grandfather  Daniel McLaughlan. The family story goes that he came from Virginia to Scotland where he met his future wife. They were married in Glasgow in 1877 however the immigration records to the UK start in 1878 ! We believe he was born around 1854/1855 to Michael McLaughlan and Sarah Heffernan.  At the time of his marriage in 1877 Daniels father was deceased however the mother Sarah was still living.  I have looked on Scotlands people but can find no death certificate for his mother. Michael is listed as being coalminer. We think that the family may originally came from Scotland immigrated to the USA although we have nothing to confirm this.. Any advice where we can go from here ?  Many thanks
Campbell, McGarrity, Brock, Tonner, Hagan, Morgan and Gallagher

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help required ! Lost Virginian
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Normski:

Have they found Daniel on census returns; if so, does it state where he was born?  (Did he state that he was born in America?)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Also who were the witnesses at marriage? It's possible his mother remarried, and that wouldn't be reflected on the marriage certificate but she might have witnessed under her new name, or stepfather/stepsiblings, etc, might be a witness.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,  Thanks for your reply.  I have found Daniel in all the Census from 1881 to 1911 in Cambuslang Glasgow.  It states that he was born in Glasgow Lanarkshire.  However the family story goes is that Daniel returned to Scotland after the US Civil war. Daniels grand daughter remembers that her grandfather had an American accent ! I have looked at the passenger listings going out to the US.  I have found a Michael McLaughlin departing the UK in 1822 but he travelled alone.  Stumped !  Thanks for all your help

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo Rose,

I have double checked the marriage certificate.  No the witnesses were a Matthew McGuire and a Catherine Ward...Daniels mother's name was Sarah.  Worth a try though thanks

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
I have one ancestor who told people he was born in Canada, even though he was born in New Jersey (USA).  My mum told me that he wanted to "fit in" with all of the Irish or Canadian relatives and friends and was too embarrassed to say that he was born in America (even though a couple of his siblings were also born in New Jersey).

There are several things to think about:

While "your" Daniel stated he was born in Scotland, I suppose at this time, there is no actual proof.  He could have just told that to people.

Daniel could have been born in Scotland, sailed to North America with his family when he was very young and acquired an American accent before he at some point returned to Scotland.

Daniel could have been born in Canada or America and at some point lived in Virginia.  Perhaps his father died during the American Civil War?

I'll continue to have a look around US records.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)