Author Topic: Irish couple Marriage Possibly New York 1901-02.  (Read 4861 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish couple Marriage Possibly New York 1901-02.
« on: Wednesday 15 April 15 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,Looking as to where I could find record of a Marriage between 1901-02 most probably New York.
John Mc Ginness/Mc Guinness married Margaret Duffy in 1901-02,I believe the Marriage took place in the USA and most likely New York as they had a son born there in 1902.

John and Margaret nee Duffy were from Drumlish Co Longford Ireland, both born in 1871.
Johns father was James McGinness mother Ellen Donohoe

They are on the Irish census for 1911 living with their children in Co Longford, on the census it states they are 9 years married and their oldest child James T Mc Guinness aged 8 was born in New York.
The next surviving child was born 1906 in Longford, so I presume the family returned home sometime between 1902-06.

I would be grateful for any help in locating a marriage cert for the couple in America.
Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish couple Marriage Possibly New York 1901-02.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
It might help to find their passenger lists to the US to see where they were going.  Were they in Ireland in 1901 or might they have travelled before that?

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
I think they may have travelled Before 1902 as I cant find John on the 1901 Census.
I spoke to my friend and she told me that there  were stories told of how her Grandfather would travel to the U.S to look for work when he had gathered the Harvest.
I Believe John may have worked with Pedigree Horses (im waiting for confirmation on this)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
Don't know that many Irish would have travelled to U.S. and back for harvest work but there certainly were a lot of seasonal jobs in Scotland with just a short ferry ride as opposed to a 9 or so day journey to America.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Can't find anything on Italiangen for the 5 boroughs for McGinness/Duffy in marriages.

They might have already been married prior to going to the USA? Both were born same year in same place in Ireland says to me this is a strong possibility. Check Ireland Civil and Church records.

John could have gone to the USA, married someone else, she was the mother of James, she's died and John has returned with James - later to marry Duffy back in Ireland? Check Italiangen for marriages for McGinness during the period concerned, find brides and check if any of the brides (first names plus now McGinness) died during the same period or at least after birth of James. At least rule it out - it's a short enough timespan to check.

Try and follow shellyesq's suggestion regarding passenger lists (for intended destination if you're luck) though I fear unless they were married prior to going it might be a needle in a haystack job - would be practically impossible to link the 2 together from separate manifests?

Good luck.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Don't know that many Irish would have travelled to U.S. and back for harvest work but there certainly were a lot of seasonal jobs in Scotland with just a short ferry ride as opposed to a 9 or so day journey to America.

I did Find a possible match on 4-10- 1907 for a John Mc Guinness from Coolarty arriving onboard the 'Cedric', it states he was Married.
I might not made it clear in my post regs John travelling to the U.S....It seem's he travelled when he finished work on the Farm in Ireland that he travelled to the U.S...according to family it may have been to work with Horses for some 'Public Figure'..but that is family legend/rumour,and we all know where that can lead to ..???

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, the 1907 man gives his father as James with address Coolarty.
He is going to his sister, Mrs M Ford, 2124, 8th Avenue, New York.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Possibility re Mrs Ford

Family search has births for children with parents John J Ford and Mary Ann McGennis
(With surname variation)
Mary Ellen
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WHN-MQR
Ann Josephine
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WC5-Z7N
Burial of John born 1911
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WMS-SL9

These children are returning to NY -Cedric, August 11th 1911 - and Mary 28 yrs - home address 2118 8th Avenue which is close to the previous address I posted.

Marriage from Italiangen 1903 John J Ford and Mary A McGinnis

Of course, there is no evidence yet that this is your family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk