Author Topic: Seeking Information on Anzacs from Hull and the East Riding in WW1.  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Seeking Information on Anzacs from Hull and the East Riding in WW1.
« on: Wednesday 15 April 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
I am gathering information on Hull born Anzacs who fought in WWI for a forthcoming exhibition in Hull on The Gallipoli Campaign and the Peninsular War on land or sea. I would love to hear from anyone who has any information, photos and documents relating to the contribution of Hull born Anzacs who fought in this campaign to honour their memory.
Thanks for your time.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Information on Anzacs from Hull and the East Riding in WW1.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
ANZAC is an acronym for Australian and New Zealand Army Corp so predominantly from those two countries but there were English born amongst the volunteers.Records are here but unaware of search by place of birth..https://www.awm.gov.au/people/roll-search/all/?preferred_name=&service_number=&unit=&conflict=0&op=Search

Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
A list here Anzacs born in Hull, England enlisted in Australia:

http://honouringanzacs.net.au/search-anzacs.php?anzactype=1&search_text=Hull,%20England

Includes their service records
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Yes WARNCOURT I am aware of that thank you and thanks for the link and your interest....but it is known that there were many Hull recruits who were ANZACS can be found this great site:

http://honouringanzacs.net.au/search-anzacs.php?anzactype=1&search_text=Hull%2C+England

I am interested in photos are documents that people may be willing to share to honour theses brave men and would like to hear from descendents.

Added...Posts crossed. Thank you WHITEOUT for your interest.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
Pre google chrome (which I use) it was possible to search,using other engines,the percentage of how many British/Irish/NZ born Anzacs made up the force..... I remember it was quite high ...... sadly this is now lost.
Joe  >:( >:(
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joe...I will have a search and see if I can get some statistics...there was a good article in the Sunday Telegraph on 5th April showing the statistic for casualties in Gallipoli and I destroyed it during laminating  ::)
Carol

Offline tremal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
My uncle was at Gallipoli and I have extracts from two letters he sent home?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
How interesting...I would love to see them...any chance of a copy to use in the exhibition in May?
Carol

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 April 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joe...I will have a search and see if I can get some statistics...there was a good article in the Sunday Telegraph on 5th April showing the statistic for casualties in Gallipoli and I destroyed it during laminating  ::)
Carol
I found the link to that article;
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/keep-the-anzac-stories-alive-with-the-official-sunday-and-daily-telegraph-coin-collection/story-fni0cx12-1227299052884
I assume that 330,000 soldiers contained NZ chaps too.
Would be interesting to ask where they sourced their statistics and search further from that point.
If you are a contributor to the Daily Telegraph you could ask them where they got the statistics and if they advise a source you/we could explore it further.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.