Author Topic: George ELLIS - British Home Children  (Read 10018 times)

Offline Orangebliss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George ELLIS - British Home Children
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 April 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Yes its hard to know who is who, I have emailed the lady re the Heritage Years book, hopefully she may know what happened to him.  I didnt realise until recently what a awful practice this was of sending children away and the amount of children it happened to.  I suppose I just want a happy ending for George, my Grandmother was killed in a bombing raid on May 23rd 1943 in Hastings Sussex England when my Mum was 18 and all paperwork was destroyed.  My Mum remembers seeing some paperwork and birth certificates in a box in the house when she was young  but Grandma never talked about the children, and my Mum never asked.

Regards
Sarah

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

Just another link for you which you possibly already have http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Orangebliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the cemetery link, I have Georges birth certificate and he was born 2nd May 1908 only a couple of days out, could be him, I dont know if George would have had his birth certificate, I will look into the ladies name on the grave.

Thank you for the link to the British Home Children site I have used this and found it a wealth of information. Thank you all

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is 'your' George Ellis ... ?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ellis&GSfn=george&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GScntry=10&GSob=n&GRid=142462092&df=all&

There was a George Ellis born in Peterborough County in April of 1908 to Harvey and Hannah Ellis, so we must be careful not to jump to conclusions. Chances are this may not be the correct George Ellis. This particular George was married to Mildred Innes Ellis, according to Canada Voters List they were resident in 1965 (also listed were 2 other male Ellis) and again mentioned in 1972 at 337 McGill Street.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm that the find a grave entry is indeed the wrong George Ellis.
That particular George Ellis was the son of Harvey Ellis and Hannah (nee Clapper) which I mentioned above. George was born 30 April 1908 in  Belmont & Methuen Twps, Peterborough, Cobourg.
Mildred Elizabeth nee Innes was the daughter of Gordon henry Innes Snr and Mina Ann Moncrief. There is an anc tree on the family.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 April 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Since George referred to himself as George John Ellis on the Canada Form 30  - putting this one forward, in the hope we can either count him in or out - The Canada Voters List for 1935 shows a George J R Ellis and a Mrs George J R Ellis living Belleville Hastings South Ontario. (R could be part of his initials or it was transcribed as an occupation ?)

There is also a 1957 entry - George Ellis - retired Herchimer and Mrs George Ellis.

1965 entry for George Ellis (retired) and Mrs Leita Ellis -183 Herchimer

Canada Voters List 1968 - George J R Ellis - ( Retired) (and Mrs Letitia I Ellis) 183 Herchimer Avenue Hastings.

Canada Voters List 1972 Mrs Leita Ellis is listed alone at Apt 212 Bridge Street West, Hastings Ontario.

Sandra

Offline Orangebliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 April 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thank You Once again Sandra, I will try and find a link

Many Thanks
Sarah

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 April 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hard to find someone into the century unless there is a marriage or obit.  One thing that may now happen, is that if descendants find your thread on here, they will come in and join the conversation.

It looks as though younger brother Artur was placed in the receiving home but George was immediately endentured to Cornelius Urbane Clancy of Rawdon where he received "Board, C & S. and pocket money "  Not sure what the acronym stands for, but they  He would have had to remain in service until he was 18, and at the same placement unless there was a known conflict.
There were no children left in the household so he'd have been the major helper & they may hopefully have enjoyed the lad's company.

ELLIS, Arthur Geo. - 9 S.S. METAGAMA APR 20, 1920 Left Liverpool April 09, 1920 Arrived St. John N.B. April 20, 1920 Traveled to Belleville T 14840 Placed in the Home, Marchmont Home, Belleville Hastings ELLIS, George - 12 S.S. METAGAMA APR 20, 1920 Left Liverpool April 09, 1920 Arrived St. John N.B. April 20, 1920 Traveled to Belleville T 14840 C.A. Clancy, farmer Stirling, Rawdon 4/54, Hastings   Board, C & S. and pocket money
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tweetybirdgenealogy/marchchildE.html

Sadly this poster of an online tree didn't post anything about Eleano/Ellenore the wife in the household where he was placed.  http://www.williamdavidson.com/wc50/wc50_223.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com