Author Topic: tracing Matilda Shayler / Shelley  (Read 1978 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
tracing Matilda Shayler / Shelley
« on: Saturday 18 April 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone can help with an elusive ancestor, Matilda SHAYLER, later known as SHELLEY, born around 1865 in Bampton, Oxfordshire.

Matilda was the daughter of William Shayler (of Langford) and Jane Herbert (of Coln St. Aldwyns, Glous.), who settled in Chipping Norton some time in or before 1869. William and Jane married in Coln in 1855 (Sept qtr Northleach 6a 553) and are listed in Harnhill in the 1861 census. Matilda's birth in Bampton suggests they travelled around before settling in Chipping Norton. Matilda had four brothers: Albert, Shadrack, William and Arthur George.

For some unknown reason William changed the family name from SHAYLER to SHELLEY in or before 1869 (the Shelley name is first used with the birth of son William in that year), mother Jane died under the name Shelley in 1870 and it's remained with descendants since (including me!). William Shelley remarried Jane Empson of Chipping Norton in 1871 and went on to have five more children. 

So, regarding Matilda, she appears in the 1871 and 1881 censuses as Matilda Shelley, aged 6 and 16 respectively, indicating a birth around 1865, in Bampton. I've not found any likely birth record in Free BMD for Matilda SHAYLER or SHELLEY in Bampton or any other similar name in Oxfordshire or anywhere else. The censuses list Bampton in Gloucestershire, but this must be an error? The 1881 census lists step-mother Jane as born Bampton, Matilda on next line as "Gloucestershire", but this is mistranscribed, as Jane Empson was from Chipping Norton, it should be Matilda from Bampton, which is in Oxfordshire!

After 1881 I've found no records of Matilda at all. Did she die young? (can't find a death record on Free BMD). More likely she married before 1891, but I've not been able to identify a definite marriage record, or find a likely figure in subsequent censuses.

Free BMD lists a marriage for a Matilda Shelley in Aston (Birmingham) for 1884 June qtr Aston 6d 384, but in this reference the same groom is listed for two marriages, Charles Parrish and Charles Parish. Later censuses show this Charles actually married the other listed bride Emily Cope. If the 1884 marriage is indeed my Matilda it could make sense, as her elder brother Albert later moved to Aston in the late 1890's. But in that case who is her husband?

I notice that the 1901 census lists several more married Matildas in Birmingham than the 1891 census, so I wonder if some entries from 1891 may be missing?

Any help very much appreciated!
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tracing Matilda Shayler / Shelley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could this be her birth GRO
Ann Matilda Shaylor Mar 1865 Cirencester Gloucestershire?
I know it should be Witney but it's not that far away.

There is a baptism at Baunton ,Glos 29.3.1865 to William and Jane Shayler. labourer
There is a baptism for a Morhack 16.1.1864 at Preston near Cirencester too.He died 28th January 1864 age 14 days.(as Meshach)

Like you i has no luck with a marriage.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
I think the marriage needs further investigation; the duplicate Charle P's are most probably a deliberate indexing of the same chap, with an alternative spelling .... thus there is a male name missing from Page 384 ....

.... the easiest solution is to get the Cert to verify that Matilda's Father is the correct man - OK, its £9.25 risked, but short of looking thru all Aston Marriages in that Q for a male on a page which looks like 384 is a tall order !

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
Spent 10 mins and I reckon the missing Male is JOHN WARR.

WARR  John     Aston  6d 3[38]4   Scan available - click to view

Sorry, I dont have Census access now to seek out the couple in the 1891 Census....

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
 Ancestry   marriage  records have John  Warr    on the same  page  as  Matilda  Shelley 

Aston  Vol  6d  pg 384 June Qtr  1884 ,   though  I   can't see them on   1891  census 

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
  Wonder if this  is her ,  with  surname spelt wrongly ,    or  misheard  as  it's WARD on  image , Albert  is down  as borther  but could be  brother in law ?

1891 Wales     Portskewett   Monmouthshire

Matilda Ward  26  widow   born Chipping Norton
 Emily F Ward  6   born  Cardiff
 John P Ward  3   born Portskewett
 Albert Ward  20     brother  born Buckinghamshire

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone, progress at last!
Ah yes, there is another groom listed on Ancestry, it looks like this could be the missing husband. Despite the marriage taking place in Aston (suburb of Birmingham) the censuses don't show any suitable Matildas around there, so perhaps she did marry a Ward and move to Portskerritt.  My Matilda had cousins in Portskerritt from her mother Jane Herbert's family, it's just possible that could have been a reason she moved there. I need more evidence to be sure the 1884 Aston marriage is correct (buy the certificate as suggested!), and that the Ward in Portskerritt is the Warr listed in the marriage records.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Ciderdrinker, those birth entries are also very intriguing. There are numerous Shayler/Shaylor/Shailer families in the Glouc/Oxford border areas so it could be different families, but on the other hand...!

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 April 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
 A  possible    death , from free BMD ,   Chepstow   being the  RD for  Portskewett

Deaths Dec 1888   

Warr  John  26  Chepstow  11a 2