Author Topic: Trying to find a family in the 1881 census.  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Trying to find a family in the 1881 census.
« on: Sunday 19 April 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have two people who married in Kimberley in South Africa in the 1890. They were James Stevens aged 25, and Ellen Stevens aged 18. Ellen witnessed James' marriage, and James' then fiance witnessed Ellen's. They both also witnessed the baptism of children. This has lead me to assume that they were siblings. James had a son named James William Stevens, while Ellen had a son named Edward James, and at least two daughters, one named Ellen Maud Stevens, and the other Lillian Winifred Stevens. All of Ellen's children's names, other than Ellen Maud, can be found on her husbands side.

I have not found any record of them being born in South Africa, so I have tried to see if I can find possible English births for them. I have found a family in the 1871 census, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V55J-5KG, but have not yet been able to positively identify the family in an 1881 or 1891 census. The age of the Ellen and James in this family could fit, so I am trying to determine if I can rule them out or not by finding them in the 1881 and 1891 census to show that they were in England and not in South Africa, otherwise they will be added onto the list of possible candidates for the two individuals if the family goes missing from the census' before 1891.

Any assistance in identifying these individuals would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Duncan

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a family in the 1881 census.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 April 15 23:59 BST (UK) »

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
I believe that this is the first family in 1881: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQ75-PJ1, it is unlikely that this is the family I am looking for, but I would still like to know if they are around in 1891 and if the daughter is Ellen or Hellen in that census.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

What are the full details from the 2x marriages?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
25 year old bachelor, Edward Elijah Mileham, occupation, overseer, married 21 year old spinster, Ellen Stevens in St Alban's Church in the Parish of Kimberley on 18 May 1890. The marriage was witnessed by amongst others J. Stevens and Edith Clark.

25 year old bachelor, James Stevens, occupation, overseer, married 18 year old spinster, Edith Maud Clark in De Beers in the Parish of Kimberley on 12 August 1890. The marriage was witnessed by amongst others, Edward and Ellen Mileham.

I believe that the chances are most likely that they were born in South Africa, I would like though to rule out any possible English births though.