Author Topic: Mary Ryan (1837-1901) Parents Johanna Welsh & John Ryan, Parish Pallasgreen  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Ithon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for help please. I recently attended the WDYTYA - Live at the NEC, I had a great show, very successful info' gathering time.
While at the show someone looked up for me on RootsIreland.ie and appears to have found the baptism of Mary Ryan (1837-1901).
Mary was baptised on 4th May 1837. Parish/District was Pallasgree / Tamplebredon. I understand that this parish crosses between Limerick & Tipperary. Parents were John Ryan, farmer & Johanna Welsh. Godparents were: Terrence Meagher & Margaret Hogan. Roman Catholic religion.
Mary Ryan went to Australia, I'm not sure when or whether she travelled directly or via Liverpool or whether she travelled alone.
On the 31st October 1865, in Australia she married William George Finch (1834-1907) in Ipswich Queensland. Witnesses were Robert G Oxford & Susan Oxford. They had a daughter Adeline Finch(30th July 1867 - 11 Aug 1889) born in Grantham, Queensland.
By 4th Jan 1870 when their second child was born the family had returned to London.
I am looking to go backwards for further Irish information about Mary's parents, birth location, her travel to Australia & possibly their return to London. If anyone has access to appropriate sites I would appreciate further information or direction, thanks.
Ithon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
First question would be does Mary Ryan's marriage certificate give the names of both parents and/or her birthplace?

If not, how can you be sure that the 1837 Irish baptism record is for the correct Mary Ryan?

If the baptism is the correct one then were any searches done for possible siblings of Mary's?

Unfortunately the Finch family came to the U.K. before you will get incoming passenger lists.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ithon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ryan (1837-1901) Parents Johanna Welsh & John Ryan, Parish Pallasgreen
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi  aghadowey,

Yes, I was fortunate that Mary put both her parents on the marriage cert' in Aust' - John Ryan, farmer & Johanna Welsh. The names were the same & same spelling as in the baptism record we found.
We didn't look up baptism for any siblings for Mary, we didn't have enough time, at the moment I don't have any sibling names for Mary.
That's a good idea if someone has access to the baptism records, to look for siblings using the parents names.
William Finch was born in London, I have Suffolk connections for him back to 1736.
He went out to Aust' with a different wife & child. His first marriage in London was 1857, a daughter Eveline was born in London in 1858, he left for Aust' soon after 1858 as on Eveline's birth cert' he has changed his job to Ship's Steward. I believe that he worked his passage to Aust. He is a sailor on Adeline's birth cert' in Queensland & later when back in London he becomes a greengrocer.
I do not know what happened to his first wife & daughter in Australia.

Ithon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ryan (1837-1901) Parents Johanna Welsh & John Ryan, Parish Pallasgreen
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
You can search for further baptisms, etc. on Rootsireland yourself but check first how far back, and how complete, the records are for the parish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!