Author Topic: Sarah Porter Basted  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Snozzer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Porter Basted
« on: Monday 20 April 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Back on the family history trail after two years out, and I've run straight into a wall. An ancestor five generations back, David Morris, was married at St Mary, Whitechapel on 13 Dec 1813 to Sarah Porter Basted, apparently of that parish -- but I can't find her under that name, or as Porter OR Basted, in the three resources I've tried. Can anyone help, please?

PS: Just discovered I posted on this same subject in Jan 2013! No luck yet with a previous marriage, however. I'll keep looking -- unless anyone has a flash of inspiration?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Porter Basted
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
She may have been "of this parish" when she married - ie lived there for the statutory 3 weeks for the banns to be read. But it does not mean she was born there!  Did she survive until census era. to try and get a pob for her?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snozzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Liz. By 1841, of course, she was Sarah Morris. I've found five in the census, all borderline Whitechapel, two of whom fitted the rough social position of a few of my ancestors (female servant and washerwoman); but there's no David Morris with any of them, nor was he living with his only known son -- and the only burial entries in his name are south of the river. Looks like the end of the road unless I call up St Anthony!  ;D

Offline Snozzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
Another posting, revealing the former existence of a Basted paper mill in Kent, has set me off again. I'm now checking all Sarah Porters born near Sevenoaks/Maidstone at the end of the 18th century.     
   Another thought. The marriage details show her husband as "David Morris" -- but Sarah's name is given in this order: "Basted Sarah Porter". Does that suggest anything to the more experienced researchers on this board?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
Don't know where you've found the marriage but looking at the original record on Ancestry shows her as Sarah Porter Basted and not as you state.   Both were single.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Who is the only known son?   Where was he?

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Snozzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Annette. Can't recall where I got the marriage detail I have, but it's certainly clear enough on Ancestry. Re the son, the family were living at White's Yard, Whitechapel at the time of his baptism (27 Dec 1809).

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
Banns called at St Mary Whitechapel in October 1829 for an intended marriage of John Doyle, Bachelor, and Sarah Porter Morris, Widow. Could that be her? Not sure that the marriage actually happened though
Maybe she wasn't actually baptized with a middle name Potter, and there is some other explanation for using it? If the name Basted is some kind of variation of Bastard, which seems quite possible, there is a baptism of a Sarah Bastard 17 August 1787 at St Mary Whitechapel, parents William + Sarah. Living Rosemary Lane.  Followed in 1790 by a Samuel John Bastard, bap 1 August 1790 at the same church. Living White's Yard. After that, have been able to find nothing of them, and again, no luck so far with a marriage for William + Sarah.
John

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 18:52 BST (UK) »
Whilst I do appreciate how difficult it can be when you hit a brickwall, I do not believe, however, that the David Morris and Sarah Porter Basted who married 13/12/1813 Whitechapel are the parents of your William Samuel bp.27/12/1809 Whitechapel.   Just because his parents were David and Sarah doesn't mean this couple are them - indeed, the baptism is 4 years before the marriage even took place!!  I think you are thinking it's them just because it took place in Whitechapel.

People moved around far more often than you think.

David Morris must have died between 1813 and 1829 as banns were read (although I can't see evidence of actual marriage) of Sarah Porter Morris, widow to John Doyle, bachelor in October 1829 St. Mary, Whitechapel (last time was 25th October).   

I really don't think that the subject of this thread was the mother of William Samuel Morris who was baptised 4 years before she married in 1813.   I think his parents David and Sarah were a completely diffrent couple although, having said that, I cannot identify who they are.

Annette

London -  Monk