Author Topic: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 April 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
1875 New Orleans Directory
Lawrence Doyle, Painter.  r 272 Baronne
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 April 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Lisa. Did a bit more searching yesterday and discovered Mary Ann's parents were Lawrence Doyle & Delia Gilgan (sister Emma's birth record gives mother's maiden name).

Haven't bee able to find a marriage for son Edward (or any children) or death for his mother Mary Ann but have certainly gotten lots more information on Samuel in the last few days  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 April 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
Wow, they are difficult to find!  No luck so far, but

Possibly Mary Ann was still living in New Orleans in 1910?
Mrs. Mary Bercegeay, 1212 Marengo, New Orleans
I have not yet found her on the 1910 census, but if this is Mary Ann, she could have died, moved or remarried prior to the 1910 census.

E. Gilmore (single, I believe) was on the 1900 census.  Shelly found a death for an Edward Gilmore, 1903.  Perhaps he never married?

Mary Ann states she was born in New York on one census and another record shows her birth as Louisiana.  I wonder which location is correct?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 April 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
I checked the 1900 census again to make sure I wasn't mistaken but Edward G? Gilmore has 'M' (for married) rather than 'S' for single.

I think that his mother Mary Ann probably was born in New York.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 April 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
Trying to get the facts (in hope of finding Mary Ann's birthplace or other clues):

1850 Brooklyn Ward 5, Kings Co., NY
Lawrence Doyle, born c1823, Ireland, House Painter
Bridget Doyle, born c1824, Ireland
   Could this be "your" Lawrence?

1860 New Orleans Ward 2 census

Lawrence Doyle, born c1825, Ireland, Painter?   and   Delia, born c1832, Ireland
Mary Ann, born c1851, NY?   Emma, born c1855, Louisiana    John, born c1859, Louisiana

1870 New Orleans Ward 2 census
Lawrence Doyle, born c1822, Ireland, Painter   and   Delia, born c1827, Ireland
Mary A, born c1851    Emma, born c1856    John, born c1858
   Lizzie Taylor, born c1850, Louisiana, Domestic
Added:  Children were born in Louisiana (forgot to add that earlier)

1877, Lawrence Doyle, born c1820, died 12 February 1877
1897, Widow Lawrence Doyle, born c1829, died 7 March 1897

1901 Massachusetts Marriage Record
Emma (Doyle) Girling, age 40, Widowed - Second marriage.  Born New Orleans, LA.  Father: Lawrence.  Mother: Margaret Gilgan.  Residence: 5 Cootes?, Boston.  Occupation:  "at home"
Married John Henry Jacobs, 49, Widowed - Second marriage.  Born ?.  Father John.  Mother Marietta Wilbert.  Occupation:  Manager.  Residence: 12 River.
        April 25, 1901, Cambridge
Birth record for J.H. Jacobs: born Quincy, MA 27 September 1852.  Father's occupation:  Bootmaker?
1870 Quincy Census: John Jacobs was a boot-cutter, born Mass.  Marietta born Mass.  John H: Apprentice Carpenter

1908 Massachusetts Death Record
John H. Jacobs, died March 6, 1908.  Widowed.  Born Quincy, father John Jacobs.  Baggage Agent.  Burial:  Quincy, Mt. Wollaston

I was hoping to find Mary Ann near her sister, Emma (since possibly her parents, her husband and  her only son died prior to 1904), but with an apparent death of Emma prior to 1910, that doesn't seem likely.   Perhaps Mary Ann was living near John, her brother?  Would she have remained in New Orleans without family members nearby?   :-\  (I didn't forget any other family members, did I?)   ::)

PS  You're right - E. G. was noted as married, although no years of marriage were included.
Looking at other writing on the census page, E. "G." appears to be G as it is similar to the G in Germany and the G in the names Girlie and George. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 15 07:19 BST (UK) »
Louisiana Marriages, 1889
Robert Nash Girling married Emma Doyle on 17 December 1889.  Jefferson (Parish?)

Apparently, the marriage didn't work out and the two divorced in 1898.  After their divorce, he moved to Detroit.  There is no mention of Emma (other than what I just mentioned).
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f7n/

So, no clue there regarding Emma's sister, Mary Ann.

Update:  1900 Fitchburg, Massachusetts Directory
Emma Girling, widow Robert N.
Living on Blossom, No. 3 or 17

1901 Fitchburg
Emma Girling, widow Robert N., rem(oved?) to Athol

A Mrs. Mary Bercegeay was listed in the New Orleans city directories in 1901, 1908 and 1910.  I wonder if she lived somewhere else between 1901 and 1908 and possibly left again after 1910?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Well, you have been busy. I certainly wasn't expecting all that about Emma. Will spread my search for Mary a bit wider now.

I had found Emma's birth record earlier (which is where I got the mother's maiden name)- born 16 Aug.1855 New Orleans.

The 1900 directory lists Edward J. Gilmore at 1307 St. Charles Ave. which is where he was with mother & stepfatherin 1900 census. The last directory I found Edward Gilmore in was the 1901-
Gilmore Edward, tinsmith, r 1924 Melpomene.
The 1900 census gives middle initial as G but I think he was Edward John (his paternal grandfather ws John so perhaps named after him).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 April 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Found Emma Girling in Athol, Mass. in 1900 census- fits with entry in 1901 Fitchberg, Mass. directory
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9Y1-DMM

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is Mary Ann?     :)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MPBZ-CLC
The image is currently not available.
1910 Hammond, Tangipahoa, Louisiana
Mrs. J. Bercegeay, born c1858, New York.  Widowed, Boarder, parents born Ireland.
From a subscription site, it shows that she is a Nurse.  She appears to have worked in 1909 and in 1910.
She was a boarder with C.J. Bier, age 62, born New York and Mary C. Bier, age 60, born Louisiana.
On the subscription site, she is found on the site as "Mrs." and corrected to [Mrs. J Mrs Bercegeay]