Author Topic: Murdie in Brodrick  (Read 4399 times)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murdie in Brodrick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

You have been most thorough in your research.

I don't have anything substantive but was looking at an 1899 History of Northumberland, issued under the direction of the Northumberland County History Committee (vol 5) and came across a little bit of information about Brotherwick, which I thought I would pass on in case it is of interest.

It says that the population at the time of the 1801 census was 10, in 1811 it was 9, sank to 4 by 1831 and by 1891 had reached 23. In this context, and given the info in George's baptism, I think that you can have a high degree of comfort that the 1771 baptism is indeed yours. Will keep an eye out for Joseph senior in surrounding parishes.

In the 18th century part of Brotherwick seems to have been held by the Duke and part by the Fenwick family.

The 1899 History says: "With the exception of the land occupied by the North East Railway Company, whose line cuts it lengthwise into two portions, it now belongs solely to the duke of Northumberland . The township is occupied as one farm, and contains a freestone quarry, from which a large quantity of stone has been wrought for sale".

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Murdie in Brodrick
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information you have sent, I truly appreciate you taking the time to find out more about the history of the community of Brotherwick. It is quite interesting to learn how small it was.
Thank you again.

Hi Patricia

You have been most thorough in your research.

I don't have anything substantive but was looking at an 1899 History of Northumberland, issued under the direction of the Northumberland County History Committee (vol 5) and came across a little bit of information about Brotherwick, which I thought I would pass on in case it is of interest.

It says that the population at the time of the 1801 census was 10, in 1811 it was 9, sank to 4 by 1831 and by 1891 had reached 23. In this context, and given the info in George's baptism, I think that you can have a high degree of comfort that the 1771 baptism is indeed yours. Will keep an eye out for Joseph senior in surrounding parishes.

In the 18th century part of Brotherwick seems to have been held by the Duke and part by the Fenwick family.

The 1899 History says: "With the exception of the land occupied by the North East Railway Company, whose line cuts it lengthwise into two portions, it now belongs solely to the duke of Northumberland . The township is occupied as one farm, and contains a freestone quarry, from which a large quantity of stone has been wrought for sale".
Dever, Melody, Jordan, Quigley, McMahon, McNamara, Loftus, Hodgins, McHugh, McGuinness, Cheatley - Ireland
Harrop, Murdie, Norton, Lee, Sharp - England
Jeffery, Stewart, Tipper - Scotland
Cudlipp