Author Topic: David Shanks/ Jean Wotherspoon 1742/ Isabel Wotherspoon 1749  (Read 1912 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Shanks/ Jean Wotherspoon 1742/ Isabel Wotherspoon 1749
« on: Friday 24 April 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
In the research I have done on the Shanks & Wotherspoon families, I have run into a real puzzle.
I found a David Shanks married to Jean Wotherspoon about 1742, then to her sister Isobel 1749. The parents of the Wotherspoon women were Gavin Wotherspoon/ Janet Shanks, who had their children at Ryden (Ryding) New Monkland. Jean Wotherspoon had first been married to John Main, son of John Main/ Marion Wotherspoon.
The puzzle is determining the parents of David Shanks.
In the OPR Births, New Monkland, there are two David Shanks born in 1718. The first was born 16Mar 1718, Brekenhirst, to David Shanks/ Agnes Zuill, and the second was born 21Dec 1718, Gaindykehead, to James Shanks/ Isobel Bell.
There are no OPR records in Scotlands People indicating the marriage of either  Wotherspoon woman to David Shanks.
I suspect that the David who married Jean Wotherspoon was the son of David Shanks/ Agnes Zuill, as he named his first-born son David.
And the David who married Isobel Wotherspoon was the son of James Shanks/ Isobel Bell, as he named his first-born son James.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can anyone shed some light on this.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: David Shanks/ Jean Wotherspoon 1742/ Isabel Wotherspoon 1749
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Can you be sure that the two David Shanks born in 1718 were the only ones available to marry the Wotherspoon daughters? What if there was another David Shanks, born somewhere else, or baptism not recorded?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Shanks/ Jean Wotherspoon 1742/ Isabel Wotherspoon 1749
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
I checked the OPRs from 1700-1760 and the two Davids that I mentioned were the only possibilities. However, if there was a David whose birth was not registered, that is obviously another possibility.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen