Author Topic: John Purcell born 1783 Kilcommon,Mayo, Ireland  (Read 4409 times)

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Purcell born 1783 Kilcommon,Mayo, Ireland
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 07:17 BST (UK) »
Although John born in Ireland he wed for the second time in Great Yarmouth, unsure of exact year but year range from 1808 to 1816, he Joined the Army in Great Yarmouth 1813, if it helps at all his spouse was an Ann but would like her Maiden Name. The birth of children give mothers first name.
1817 the couple are in Australia, the couple`s third child George was born Great Yarmouth 1827, so they were obviously back in Yarmouth before 1827.
Any ideas please...

Thanks

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Purcell born 1783 Kilcommon,Mayo, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In 1834 there is a Purcell family listed in the Tithe Applotments for Ireland. This is the only Purcell in Kilcommon. his name is William. He may have been a brother to John or even his Father.
The only place you may get your info is in Ballina, the county town of Mayo.
I did see a tree in Ancestry that has the children's names as POSTLE, even though the Church record states Purcell.
In the Griffiths Valuation there  is a William, George and Robert listed.
Tithe and Griffiths are lists compiled for Taxes, rents and land from 1823 to 1839 and 1839 to 1864. They are in a town land called Glinsk, Belmullet.
If you search for a heritage place for this area, email them and they should be able to help.

There is a death for a Ann Purcell on the 30th May 1866 in Lyng, Mitford, Norfolk, England. She was 86, so born about 1780. A Will was also listed and it says that a Henry Buck was the sole Executor. Going by 1780 and Ann born in Lyng, I saw 1851 and 1861 census records, then Ann born in Lyng, there was another  name Sarah Ann born 1782, she may be Ann's sister. Her name was Kendall. I am not saying it is.
So you will have to look at the Churches in Lyng and I am sure you will get your info. from there.
I hope this is a help for you.
Maggsie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Ann Purcell of Lyng may be this one on Free Reg.

marriage 1795 Ann Fielder and Joseph Purcell. She would only be about 15 yrs old but it is quite possible.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 07:34 BST (UK) »
Magsie & Heywood , thank you both for your help, I will take some time out & concentrate my search, I am actually going to Galway 9/May so will have a look round then.
I do know for sure Ann wed John Purcell , by the way Purcell is the same as Postle, John born in Ireland wed in Yarmouth, Joined the Army & took spouse Ann with him to Australia, had three children over there , came back and had a fourth , George 1827 in Yarmouth, with him coming back to Yarmouth I thought that Ann would have had family there, Why not back to Ireland ? The Yarmouth folk in trying to pronounce Purcell change it to Postle over the years, that is the only logical explanation, for they are one & the same. John first wed Priscilla Page 1799 Gt.Yarmouth, think she died 1808 ish, then John wed an Ann after Joining up 1813 and going to Australia.
Do you think it would help if I posted the first childs birth year ?
Thanks again
John

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
John,
I'll post the link to your other thread where I have then linked to the other person's research. It may help to read about him.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=719028.

Shirley Elrick has done much research. The surname does occur in the area so I do wonder if John P who marries Priscilla Page is the same person who marries Ann. It means you have a young Irishman in Yarmouth prior to his being a soldier. Perhaps there were barracks in the area and he was from an Army family.
The birth of William in Australia and his marriage certificate links him to a soldier John.
I can see a George - is he a son? If so, what was his father's occupation on his marriage?
Are there other children! What happened to them?

Heywood

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood, a big thank you for your help, I really do not know about any siblings or parentage other than John & Ann. I am so greatful to Chatters , for they all know a tree, link, web site or other, which makes this site so much better than others I have tried over the years. The experience  from you guys makes reaching the impossible, possible if any of that makes sense. for someone like me , a novice..
Going over to Galway 9/5/15, so will have a look in Dublin or the Mayo Office, to see if they can throw any light on this family line.
Why is there so much month left at the end of the Money........
Cheers All
John

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Enjoy Galway and Mayo - we are visiting there in the summer  :)

I do find the early Norfolk information a bit difficult as there are Purcell/Postle names already there but the other info re Australia and the marriage does tie together.

Good luck

heywood

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood, appreciate the help, I am mainly going just to sample the Black Stuff or should I say Red (Guinness). Been going on a regular basis now, absolutely love it, this time we are going with WEB Cottages so much cheaper especially the Ferries, same ferry, same company just £60 cheaper. Strange that isn't.
Cheers

John..