Author Topic: Looking for mother of Stanley John Leonard from Albury NSW  (Read 14273 times)

Offline Peonyau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Adelaide Solomon?
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for mother of Stanley John Leonard from Albury NSW
« Reply #63 on: Monday 27 April 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Stanley used the Lenard spelling also on his WW1 registrations
Leonard, Lenard, Montgomerie, Bickford, Ireland,
Purtell, Gee Sing, Solomon.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
Goodness me!

What an amazing lot happened when I went to work. :o

Very clever work to untangle such a curly trail :D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
And, Sue, untangled by Cando, without anyone to do the housework. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 27 April 15 07:21 BST (UK) »
Stanley used the Lenard spelling also on his WW1 registrations

Note that the name LENARD/LENNARD spelling only relates to the birth registration of Elizabeth Ellen's children and her own death.

I thought I had mentioned the WW1file :-[.

BUT they are all LEONARD on the 1914 electoral roll at Queenscliff.

Louise I have always found it difficult to research 'family stories'.

You wrote previously on the linked thread.....

Hi ,
Do you know much about Ellen Ireland - Leonard. She lived in Preston, Brunswick, Northcote. She died in 1935 approx in melbourne. Is this fitting in with you? A police man came to see Stanleys wife and ask her to pay for the funeral but she did'nt have the money. Ellen apparently worked on wealthy properties in the western district. The Bailleau's and others. She took out shares in the Warrnambool woollen mill which she said she would give my mother when she died. Mum was 13 at the time of her death. Ellen was destitute by then. Mum & I think it was really sad.
Regards Louise

Just spoke to my mother. She remembers Ellen- Grandma Leonard taking her to Albury to visit an Aunty. They travelled by train. Mum was about 5/6
 When Ellen Leonard died (inhospital) a police man came to ask Stanleys wife if she would pay for the funeral and arrange the service. Grandma Eva Leonard refused she had 2 daughters to bring up and she had to work as a housekeeper. She did'nt have enough money. My mother remembers the police man. Stanley won a rifle medal at the Preston Rifle Club in 1908. Mum has the medal a gold inscribed one.
Elizabeth Ellen Leonard is listed in the Census 1912/1913 as living in Queenscliff. with Eva.
Elizabeth Lavinia Leonard was born in 1913 and lived with them there also.
He in listed as a fitter on their marriage certificate 1911. As a sargeant major on his return from the war No. 2518, 3rd Field Company Engineers, confessed to desertion from the Royal Australian Engineers No. 1769 4th Rifles, 3rd battalion. He returned from overseas in 1915 and reenlisted in the 7th Rifle, 8th btn - private.Then transferred to the Field Com. Engineers.
He returned from the war in 1919 aboard the "Pakeha" Lived in Albert park with my grandmother and May Montgomery who both ran a very successful pie shop in Victoria st and Stanley as sick and stayed upstairs. he drank and did'nt work.  Died in 1924.
On the marriage certificate he lists George Leonard and Ellen Ireland as parents.

I can sort out some of this.
The war record is my Stanley. He had 3 children Noel who died at 6 mths, Elizabeth who is my aunt and she died a few years ago. My mother Joan Caroline. Stanley was married in 1911 to Evangeline  Montgomery, he was stationed on Swan island off Queenscliff where my grandmother and his mother lived then. His mothers name Elizabeth Ellen I have since found on the census. She lived in Preston , Brunswick, Coburg, Stanley died in Albert park in 1924 of gas poisoning.

So perhaps we can all attempt sort this family story out as much of it so far has been found to be incorrect.

http://www.themillwarrnambool.com.au/history.html
For most of the 20th century the story of the mill is a story of growth, beginning in 1908 when Marcus Saltau and Peter John McGennan convinced the Warrnambool Chamber of Commerce to invest in secondary industry with local capital. A public meeting in September 1908 agreed to raise £40,000, electing Saltau chairman of directors, a post he held for 34 years.
Another year more, the new mill was officially opened on 14 November 1910 by Marcus Saltau as company chairman and town mayor.

The Australian BAILLIEU [not BAILLEAU] family started their lives in Victoria at Queenscliff in the 1850's where the father James was a lighthouse keeper and built the Baillieu Hotel [later re-named the Ozone Hotel]  One of their sons George, was noted as a hotelier at Queenscliff on the 1903 and later electoral rolls. The rest of this large family had by this time long moved to Melbourne and the rest as they say, is history.   However George defaulted on three mortgage payments and lost the hotel but stayed on as manager.  Perhaps Ellen worked for George and wife Agnes at the Queenscliff hotel.   The move into pastoral properties in the western district appeared to be 1948 with the purchase of Yarram Park.
The hotel today.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f7m/

So where did Ellen live from 1889 when she was at Albury until 1913 at Queenscliff?

Was this domestic employment at Rutherglen?

1922, 1924
LENARD Elizabeth Ellen  Norong Park, Rutherglen  HD

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Great research Cando.

Birth
10743/1889 LENARD  Stanley   Edward  Helen    Albury   Born 8 Sep 1889 but Edward deserted Ellen on 14 Apr 1888.  So who was the father?

Well . . . in reality Ellen nee Corbett was perhaps the deserted wife since Edward took up with Ellen IRELAND (who was not his wife) for several years, but it appears he then returned to his lawful wife with her having more children in the 1890s and between his later time in jail!!

A good many Ellens were also known as Helen at various times so that report of wife 'Helen' doesn't tell us much.

Essie

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
In this long and winding thread ;D, I may well have missed it, but tell me again if I did.

When and where did Stanley and Eva (Caroline Minnie Evangeline) divorce.

I  can't see it in Victoria. Was it in NSW ?

Sue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
A good many Ellens were also known as Helen at various times so that report of wife 'Helen' doesn't tell us much.

You don't think so?  Bear in mind that there is no mention of children.  Infant Dudley died in Jul 1888 at Glebe and then this item in the Oct 1888 NSW Police Gazette from Penrith. Ellen CORBETT had child Stella M so wouldn't a child have been mentioned eg deserted his wife and child or family.

According to NSW BDM death index there are a couple of deaths with parents Edward and Ellen whose births were not registered.  Perhaps there were other births not registered to Edward and Ellen CORBETT.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peonyau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Adelaide Solomon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 27 April 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
There was no Divorce ::)

'Perhaps Ellen worked for George and wife Agnes at the Queenscliff hotel.   The move into pastoral properties in the western district appeared to be 1948 with the purchase of Yarram Park.
The hotel today.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f7m/

So where did Ellen live from 1889 when she was at Albury until 1913 at Queenscliff?

Was this domestic employment at Rutherglen?"

1922, 1924
    LENARD Elizabeth Ellen  Norong Park, Rutherglen  HD

Good Find...most likely  she did start working in Queenscliffe. Both Eva and Ellen at different times worked as housekeepers.
Ellen may have lived with the Irelands in Preston. Stanley lived with a cousin Moore in Brunswick I think when courting Eva.
Still waiting for Stanleys birth Cert.
Leonard, Lenard, Montgomerie, Bickford, Ireland,
Purtell, Gee Sing, Solomon.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
There is a newspaper report of him having an accident with a milk van when on a motor bike. As A result he lost his leg...met his second wife a nurse when she nursed him in hosp. Edna Hille Wood. 

I have not yet located that item.

Edna was born in Albury

10493/1907 WOOD Edna H
Parents Alfred E &   Louise
ALBURY

Electoral 1930
WOOD, Edna Hill, Hospital, nurse
WOOD Alfred Ernest, Poole St. Dentist
WOOD Louise Jane Poole St. HD

This is obituary of Alfred Edward WOOD the father of Edna who died  in 1938
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/102339752

I had been searching for an electoral roll registration for Stanley in the 1920's and it seems
Stanley was in Albury by 1926 when he was fined for falling to register to vote.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/102305788

Edna lived in the Oakleigh/Clayton area of Vic in later life and died in 1991.

Springvale Botanical Cemetery
LEONARD Edna Hille
Cremated    27/08/1991
The cremated remains have been collected

Sue