Author Topic: Bowen  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bowen
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
hello holly

I am sorry that I missed your message, my husbands great grandfather is Frances Elizabeth brother.
The family know little about him and as far as they were aware he was an orphan. well at present this appears to have blown that theory out the window, or if he was orphaned it must have not been with his sister after looking at the family census details. It appears that Frances lived with her Aunt for some years, then she is out on her own from what I can make out into domestic service.
So now I am wondering what happened to their mother.
This family is becoming more intriguing as I go along.

The link to your family then is that your husband's great grandfather was Frances Elizabeth's brother Henry whose details are as follows:-

Name: Henry Burns
Birth Date: 8 Nov 1855
Baptism Date: 14 Dec 1856
Parish: St Anthony's RC Liverpool
Father's name: Pat
Mother's name: Mary
Address: Tenterden Street
Godfather: John Shaw
Godmother: Bridget Shaw

We don't know Mary's maiden name from either baptism and the addresses are different (Frances was born in Hopwood Street) so we can't be certain it's the same family without seeing both birth certificates. Burns is a very common surname and Pat and Mary are very common first names for people living off Scotland Road in the 1850s. They could be brother and sister and parents of the following but without certificates there is some doubt:-

Name: Patrick Burns
Marriage Date: 11 Jan 1852
Parish: St Anthony RC Liverpool
Spouse's Name: Mary Doyle   
Father's name: Andrew
Mother's name: Elizabeth
Spouse Father's Name: Francis
Spouse Mother's Name: Bridget

Blue

Offline deepink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi blue,

we have Mary as Mary Woods I believe her sister was Susannah Daniels nee Woods, Mary and her other family appear to be living in Tenterden Street.

Henry's birth cert claims his mother as Woods and father as Patrick Burns, The mystery comes when Henry marries and claims his father to be James, occupation shipwright.
As the Burns trail was getting me nowhere fast I had another look at the baptisms just in case another child was in there somewhere.
This family are a real mystery.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
If there is a Patrick Burns/Mary Woods and Patrick Burns/Mary Doyle in the St Anthony's area and the church isn't recording the mother's surname then Frances could have been born to either couple.

Blue

Offline deepink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
HI Blue,

Lots of maybe's at present but storing them all. Sooner or later something will connect.
I gave up trying to find a marriage for Mary.
I have a feeling that Patrick is a nick name not his real name. If Irish and I am fairly certain that he was they were all called Pat. There is a lodger near where Mary Woods is living in census by the name of Burns and a carpenter. Perhaps I should start looking at another Christian name possibility.

Offline deepink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue

I have got Mary's sisters mixed up Sarah Woods married Samuel Daniels, Susanna Woods married Joseph Thomas
Mary Woods 1851 census Tenterden Street
George Burns in residence at 35 Tenterden Street as lodger