Author Topic: William PAXTON of Finmere and wife Hester m 1760-ish  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William PAXTON of Finmere and wife Hester m 1760-ish
« on: Friday 01 May 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
I've been unsuccessfully trying to find the marriage of William PAXTON (believed b1745, s of William and Elizabeth) to a Hester around 1760.  Their first known child, Alice, was bapt in Finmere 20 Feb 1761 and buried there 3 Jan 1762.  I've not been able to identify a marriage for him so far.  Can anyone help please?

The PAXTONs had a long history in Finmere.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William PAXTON of Finmere and wife Hester m 1760-ish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 May 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
You don't say if you've checked the Finmere parish records for a marriage, if you haven't done so so far it might be worth buying the Oxfordshire Family History Society's parish records cd BIC02 which contains Finmere's records. Unfortunately I don't have that one from my Oxfordshire ancerty researches else I'd look for you.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
You don't say if you've checked the Finmere parish records for a marriage, if you haven't done so so far it might be worth buying the Oxfordshire Family History Society's parish records cd BIC02 which contains Finmere's records. Unfortunately I don't have that one from my Oxfordshire ancerty researches else I'd look for you.

Sorry, yes, I have the CD and did check it.  I'm guessing they married in the bride's parish but I've no idea what that was.

FamilySearch isn't showing any hits at all for anywhere in England but it could have been a Catholic marriage.  I've been told the Oxfordshire registers weren't allowed to be digitised by the LDS and there are a couple of other counties the same.

I'll probably have to wait until I can get up to Oxford and spend a few days in the Record Office going through all the parishes in the county covering that period.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie :)

I’ve checked the OFHS Marriage Index 1538-1837 for PAX* marrying a Hester anywhere, and the only one listed is William PAXTON / Hester PEISLY (of Foscot) at Finmere on 14 Sep 1712.  Also looked for PAC* and Esther, but couldn’t see anything.

If you’re going to Oxford (lucky thing, wish I could!) check the OFHS website first as they often have a helpdesk at St Luke’s, Cowley staffed by volunteers.

I believe the only marriages legally recognised in England before 1 July 1837 had to take place in CofE, Jewish, or Quaker establishments licensed for the purpose.

Hope this helps a bit,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie :)

I’ve checked the OFHS Marriage Index 1538-1837 for PAX* marrying a Hester anywhere, and the only one listed is William PAXTON / Hester PEISLY (of Foscot) at Finmere on 14 Sep 1712.  Also looked for PAC* and Esther, but couldn’t see anything.

If you’re going to Oxford (lucky thing, wish I could!) check the OFHS website first as they often have a helpdesk at St Luke’s, Cowley staffed by volunteers.

I believe the only marriages legally recognised in England before 1 July 1837 had to take place in CofE, Jewish, or Quaker establishments licensed for the purpose.

Hope this helps a bit,

Hallo :)

Thank you for checking the marriage index. Yes, it does help. It means I haven't missed the marriage :)

I believe the William PAXTON and Hester PEISLY who married in 1712 were the grandparents of the William and Hester I'm looking for.

There was a William s of William and Hester bapt 20 Mar 1715 who I believe is the one who married an Elizabeth (abt 1742-ish), again a marriage I've yet to find.  Their first known child was Elizabeth (bapt 1 July 1744).  Their next was William (bapt 21 Mar 1745/6).

I'm not absolutely sure because there's so little to go on but the dates fit.

It's going to be at least a couple of months before I can get up there but I'll check to see if the help desk is open and plan accordingly, if possible.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
There was a William s of William and Hester bapt 20 Mar 1715 who I believe is the one who married an Elizabeth (abt 1742-ish), again a marriage I've yet to find.

Ok, how about this one:

William PAXTON of Finmere married Elizabeth YATES of Finmere on 25 July 1743 - at Bicester

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 May 15 00:37 BST (UK) »

Ok, how about this one:

William PAXTON of Finmere married Elizabeth YATES of Finmere on 25 July 1743 - at Bicester

Thank you very much :)

That looks like them all right :)

<rhetorical question> I wonder what prompted them to marry at Bicester. </rhetorical question>

I have another YATES family around the same period but in Fritwell.

Thanks again :)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
I've been doing some digging and found a tree which has this marriage that Carol found:

The William in question was the one born in 1715 and the tree states Elizabeth was born in 1697 (I have my doubts about that DoB).  Their youngest two children (b1757 and 1758) both died in infancy (1757 and 1759). Elizabeth also died in 1759.  I think it is very highly unlikely she would have been having any children at 60+.  Elizabeth is more likely to have been a younger woman born closer to 1715.  There isn't an Elizabeth YATES baptised in Finmere around that time unless she wasn't a YATES at the time or she's been missed off either the register, BTs or transcription.

Next a William PAXTON marries an Esther MILLER on 18 Aug 1759  in Buckingham.  It's not impossible that William (b1715) married Ms MILLER (apparently b1736).  He did have young children so a prompt marriage would not have been frowned on.  William (b1745/6) now becomes brother to his own children according to the tree - or does he?

This tree has William (b1745/6) marrying Anne DAVIS on 20 Apr 1767 Finmere.

I think I need to see the marriage entry for Esther MILLER to see if there's any indication who William PAXTON was (eg of Finmere or widower or both)

In the meantime, over to the Rootschat panel because I am confused.

Another tree has Elizabeth YATES still having childen in 1810.