Author Topic: Royal Navy Rating Lookup  (Read 2655 times)

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy Rating Lookup
« on: Saturday 02 May 15 01:21 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if the RN records could be turned up of a guy who served in the Canadian forces, and listed 5 yrs service in the RN in his attestation papers.

He was Douglas George Phythian (b 6 Apr 1884, Omagh Co, Tyrone, Ireland), he turns up in a few places.

In Toxteth 1891
Possibly joining the 4th Liverpool regiment in 1900.
In Winnipeg in 1909
Joining Canadian army in 1914
Shipping back to Canada injured in 1915

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy Rating Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 May 15 02:03 BST (UK) »
there is an army birth index,,,but its for 1888...probable son of Company sergeant major Douglas Pythian ,2nd battalion West India regiment,who was discharged in 1898  aged 40.I cant see any naval records for him,,,just his militia attestation in 1900,which you already know about.

DOUGLAS G PHYTHIAN
Year 1888    OMAGH IRELAND
Regiment   West India Regiment
Volume   1646
Page   55
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, good to know there is a very similar person to be careful of, I don't think the DGP born in 1888 can be the one who signed up in 1900.

I only know my DGP, or possibly a third DGP signed up in 1900, I don't have a FindMyPast subscription, I shall have to get the detail next freebie Friday.

My DGP was son of another DGP (b Cork 1858), shown as a Soldier in 1891, but living in Liverpool, maybe he was the CSM from the West India regiment and I have messed up somewhere.

Still puzzled over my DGP, after returning to Canada injured he disappears from the records, oral history has him marrying a Daisy in Liverpool and sailing on the Baltic, but I can turn up nothing.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
people did lie about there ages,,,the chap in the militia states he was born in 1882,,,,and was formerly in the Kings Liverpool regiment.He enlists in Fermoy.Joins in Belfast. Is discharged in 1901 under article 1142 (iii)  free of charge.His father is Douglas,,,his mother is Mary,,,he has a brother Edwin,,and sister Nellie.They are residing at 21 Newlands Street,Liverpool.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
Douglas PHYTHIAN  senior was discharged in 1898...his intended residence was 35 Rupert Grove,Everton,Liverpool.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:28 BST (UK) »
Douglas G Phythian enlistment into the Kings Liverpool regiment gives his year of birth as 1883.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:43 BST (UK) »
So,,,after enlisting in the Kings Liverpool regiment {militia}  he then joins the Royal Irish Rifles   serves from the 3/10/1900   to  30/6/01. All his service is classed as "at home",,,this includes Ireland. Have you found him in the UK or Irish 1901 census ? 

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:44 BST (UK) »
Edwins army index birth...note that the volume and page number are the same as Douglas G  Phythian....i wonder if Douglas was a late registration ? 

First name(s)   EDWIN J
Last name   PHYTHIAN
Year range   1886
Place   OMAGH
Country   IRELAND
Regiment   West India Regiment
Record source   GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
Volume   1646
Page   55

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 May 15 01:54 BST (UK) »
Douglas junior is still in the army,,,so not with his family in the 1901 census.

1901 census
29, Brunel Street, Everton, West Derby,

Mary L   Phythian   Head   Married   Female   37   1864   Washerwoman   Ireland   
Nellie   Phythian   Daughter   Single   Female   16   1885   Packer Druggist's Sundries   Ireland   
Edwin   Phythian   Son   Single   Male   14   1887   Bread Shop Boy   Ireland
Walter   Phythian   Son      Male   12   1889      Ireland
Viola   Phythian   Daughter      Female   9   1892      Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Madge   Phythian   Daughter      Female   4   1897      Liverpool, Lancashire, England